Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Re: Fuel tank pump out

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    Unfortunately in time the mess damaged the fuel pumps/injectors so be careful with self polishing.
    This is unfortunately very likely with newer common rail systems. The 20k+ psi injection pressure and small orifices are much more likely to get damaged by fuel contaminants. I have been through this with bosch pumps and common rail injectors on road. My last problem was about 5k and virtually every high pressure component in the system was replaced.

It seems like Detroits and other lower pressure, mechanical injected motors are more resilient to bad fuel though which is nice. Regardless, id rather have a secondary pump and filter system take that hit and not use the primary engines as a cleaner if possible.

Re: Fuel tank pump out

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I have been battling this problem for a year and a half with my 41 C. Boat blew an engine and I bought it with motor blown. So it sat for a year or so. O ring was missing from fuel fill and I didn't realize. When we got it ready to go I had a good trip in the intercoastal and no issues as the water was smooth. The next day I took her out fishing and was in engine room entire day. I was getting heavy sludge stuck in spinners.(which are now removed) I called mechanic and he brought polisher and cleaned fuel. Next day had same problem, he came back that night and polished again. The short of it is I am using the manual fuel gauge hole and bought my own polisher ($1500) moves 4 gpm. so for the last year and a half every trip when I come in I hook it up. I get a small amount out in a short time but then I could run it for 2 days and not get any more. The baffling is the issue not being able to get to back of tank. I talked to many people and did every suggestion I could. I made a capped pipe drill small hole in end cap and hooked to air compressor. We agitated the fuel as we polished. Again this really didn't work. Also I have poured every chemical known to man in it and it never killed or broke it down. I was still getting clear fuel with heavy solids. 3 weeks ago I was reading on a forum and a mechanic from workboats in gulf said he dealt with this all his life. Gave a chemical name and I ordered. (can get name if you need chemical on boat and I don't remember name). so three weeks ago I poured a double dose in it and finally I'm getting black liquid at the raycor. It seems to be breaking down which is a good thing bad thing situation. Stopping up filters but I think we are on the right track. I am this week going to mount the polisher in the boat take the fuel gauge out and using a pvc cap with two holes drilled in it make it where I can run polisher while at sea. this way I am hoping while being sloshed around the polisher will pick up more material. for me the $1500 polisher was a good investment and paid for itself in short order. Sorry for the long post but this is a battle I've been on for a while.
    Your problem was EPIC!

I had a relatively minor contaminant issue a couple of years ago with fuel in my fwd (aux tank); I ran it dry. I felt I needed to agitate the tank to get the sludge at the bottom moving. After filling the tank, I let it sit a day and then opened the filler cap. I took the fuel line loose entering the Racor and introduced some shots of compressed air. Holding the line over a bucket, the line rapidly surged bringing with it all manner of crap. I repeated a coupe of dozen times until the crap tapered off and let set for the rest of the day. When I repeated the process the next day, I got just a bit of junk. In total, I may have wasted 3 gallons of fuel.

Removing the filler cap assured me of no pressure damage to the tank. A full tank assured me of maximum force pushing through the line to the bucket. I installed a 10 micron filter and ran off that tank the next day. I had just a bit of junk in the bowl at the end of a full day underway. I swapped filters again and end of story.

My experience wouldn't have helped you, but maybe it'll help someone with a less catastrophic experience. That must have been a nightmare.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC