Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So What's Up with Active Captain?

I went to the new site (activecaptain.garmin.com). I can't get the map to display NOAA chart data when selected. Anyone have any insight on this? I also don't see any lists like the old site had (fuel/marinas). Is it me?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: So What's Up with Active Captain?

Garmin really messed up a great product... first they pulled the plug on The Blue Chart app and now they re having a lot of issues getting the new API to work properly. A number of developers have announced they are not going to re code their products

To Garmin's defense, it seems the new API was needed to comply with recently enacted European privacy regulations

It s shame as it was a great tool. Hopefully they ll get it working soon
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for the info. The old site sure seemed to work well. I really depended on it as a sort of real-world adjunct to the LNM. The good news is that dredging has started on the real problem areas of the ICW between Charleston and St. Helena Sound. Maybe I can give Garmin a chance to get the site working.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

yeah and try to do route planning ......that works no more . I used to use it set up routes and waypoints but now I cannot figure it out .......Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    yeah and try to do route planning ......that works no more . I used to use it set up routes and waypoints but now I cannot figure it out .......Pat
    Navionics on your phone. $15/year. I try and do it waiting for appointments, etc.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I've never played with the Active Captain app, but Navionics sucks for route planning, or at least it did. It's great if you're only going a short distance or a long distance with about 3 turns. I let my subscription run out quite some time ago, but it works great for everything else. Unless they've fixed it, I won't bother renewing as the free version works fine.

Don't you have to buy and download charts for the Active Captain phone app?

EDIT I'm talking about the Auto Route function sucking.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 06-07-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I've never played with the Active Captain app, but Navionics sucks for route planning, or at least it did. It's great if you're only going a short distance or a long distance with about 3 turns. I let my subscription run out quite some time ago, but it works great for everything else. Unless they've fixed it, I won't bother renewing as the free version works fine.

Don't you have to buy and download charts for the Active Captain phone app?

EDIT I'm talking about the Auto Route function sucking.
    Randy, you're right about auto routing. It's not bad if you're routing offshore. What drives me nuts is it'll go around your ass to your elbow to try and make you go the way it wants you to go. Must be owned by an oil company.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I just don't understand why they can't come up with software that will simply give you the distance between two points as is the case with GPS highway routes. Yes, there can be variations depending on whether you run point to point or stay in the middle of a curved channel, but it would be close. River charts have mile markers, so does the ICW, but it would save a lot of trouble if you could truly just enter a destination and have the distance in a flash.

Navionics does point to point but runs out of points in short order. There is no trick to running or measuring a straight line, so it's basically worthless in its present form. Again, it's great for getting from point A to point B, but it could be better.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I went to the new site (activecaptain.garmin.com). I can't get the map to display NOAA chart data when selected. Anyone have any insight on this? I also don't see any lists like the old site had (fuel/marinas). Is it me?
    Using Chrome and went to the site for the first time just now. Seems ok for me. BTW on the internet in Belize with not the best performance.
    Regards
    Dan

In addition to a dedicated iPad running Navonics with a GPS dongle at the helm, I also run OpnCPN on a dedicated PC. Neither device depends on the internet and are relying on shipboard GPS. I can distribute the video from the PC around Chartmaker as well.OpnCPN is a great tool in my estimation. Charts are all on the NOAA site.