Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 52c Refit

Re: 52c Refit

Nice to see things coming along with your boat.

Well things are moving along, all salon windows and port holes out and replaced. Project wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, they were just big and awkward. The black sealant behind the old windows is horribly messy. Glad it’s finally done, great improvement and well worth the effort. It was crazy to find the lack of sealant around windows. I do have the old windows crated and available if anyone needs them. There in great shape, we just wanted to upgrade. Brooks
    Attached Images

What kind of windows did you put in? Lookouts? Any idea the man hours involved and ballpark cost? I have a 52c and would love to replace mine. Not sure if you did the fridge/freezer yet but we put a pair of Marvel stainless under cabinet and they are fantastic.

Missprint

We used the lookout windows, we did all of the portholes, side salon windows and rear window. I would have to go look at the invoice but I think low teens is a ballpark number. Regarding the labor, I did the portholes one day to get a feel for the process. The salon and rear window were done in a full day. The longest part was after the removal of the large windows, was the horrible tacky black glue/ mastic stuff. Really it is a minimum of a two person job due to the large cumbersome size of the windows. It gave my wife and i a run for our money. Since we are repainting we didnt secure the windows with suction cups from the inside. Honestly I didn't feel comfortable with a chance on a suction cup. We actually used small wood 1x2 batten material and screwed a tab/clamp to secure them to the bulkhead while the epoxy set. Yes there is 4 small screw holes to fill and fair a few inches away from the new windows. Compared to a high dollar window falling out or shifting before the epoxy set, scary. It was tough but well worth it. A doable DIY project.

Missprint what all are you planning to do with your Hatt. I am going to check into the Marvel under counter. Its an item on the list.

Where are you doing this work.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

We’re in Rockport, doing the work in a DIY yard called Hook n Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Texastailboard View Post
    We’re in Rockport, doing the work in a DIY yard called Hook n Bull.
    Ok I know that yard. I just left Mile 533. I am down that way all the time with work. I might drop by sometime to see your progress.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

We switched vacuflush to Elegance heads. Reasonably good fit, better looking, and(so far)work well. While you are on the repaint, might want to look at Slanes ER side vents. If you don't replace the overhead cockpit lights, we ordered the LED bulbs from Sam's and they are a huge improvement.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I called about the ER Vents. I would like to add them, they called from sams with a contact to make them. It was a bit pricey, still considering it. I wonder how well the improvement is with them.

They work really well, and let a lot of air in without spray. I've seen them built, and they are quite a good design.