Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vinyl Wrap for Wheelhouse Window Frames

I have been replacing the black PVC seals around the wheelhouse windows this past week and have also had a good look at the paint over the brown aluminium frames. The boat was last painted in 2002.

In short the two pack paint is now lifting from the aluminium frames and needs to be removed.

I cant see any other option but to use paint stripper or heat gun to remove all the paint from the aluminium frames.

1. I am wondering if white vinyl wrap may do a good repair job?? I saw somebody covered a davit pole so why not the wheelhouse window frames?

2. Some of the frames have corrosion where water has got under the paint. How best to clean these corroded areas up and seal before painting or vinyl wrapping the frames?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Vinyl Wrap for Wheelhouse Window Frames

Scot, I did my Davit pole and metal trim in vinyl wrap. There should’ve an issue with using it on your frames. However just like paint it’s all in the prep. If you use a gloss finish everything wrong under the wrap will telescope to the surface. Is the surface is in good condition you don’t even need to sand it. The vinyl sticks to it without issues. If you do it yourself get a helper to hold the edges while you install. It took a couple of practice runs before I got proficient at it. It’s fairly simple once you get the hang of it. Below is a photo of the aluminum trim on the side panels I did with chrome wrap. Check out how to vinyl wrap on YouTube, watch all of them. Great educational videos.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Vinyl Wrap for Wheelhouse Window Frames

I removed paint from the frames on our 43DC with just a razor blade. It was not bonded well to the aluminum so when it started to flake off, you could get a blade under it. The heat gun is a good idea too. Just be careful of the plexiglass curved windows. Also don't want to damage surrounding paint or glass. Be careful.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI