Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Detroit 453t using 6v53 parts

Guys, I'm doing the first PM on my dew to me boat. It has the 453t detroit engines. I bought everything for that engine. When i was going to install the impeller and thermostat, none fit. I started researching on dieselpro and saw that the raw water pump and thermostat are from a 6v53. I called them and the guy told me that someone had modified the engines.
    Anybody knows if this came like that from factory?

Re: Detroit 453t using 6v53 parts

If you contact your local Detroit dealer and give him serial and model numbers they would tell you what pump and thermostat came with that engine. Then you would know if modified after the factory built it.Maybe where you got your parts gave you the wrong ones and it has not been modified. Could also be that Detroit upgraded pump down the line because customers were having overheat problems. The pump I could see someone changing but I don't quite see why a new thermostat and housing would be substituted unless a factory recall.Maybe just as simple as you getting the parts for the wrong engine if 4-53 and 4-53T use different pumps and thermostat.