Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Salt Water Engine Ssystem Descaling

A mechanic I know and trust recommended RYDLYME (rydlyme.com) to descale (clean) the salt water side of engine cooling systems. He suggested it as a preventive procedure. Anybody have firsthand experience or knowledge of this product?

According to him, there is little need to disassemble engine cooling systems for cleaning of the saltwater side. His boss later told me they used Rydlyme in a cooling system that had already been disassembled and cleaned but still had overheating problems:it cured that system and he, too, is an advocate.

It's a biodegradable cleaner that is introduced via a hose connection from a container to a salt water pump (plug or zinc), pumped thru the engine and discharged into a container where it is again picked up at the salt water pump. Let it sit four about four hours and "presto", the engine cooling system is ready to go....if all this is accurate...

Edit: It just occured to me that I was told the product cleans intercoolers as well, but how does the Rydlyme get up there if it's recovered for recirculation at the saltwater pump??
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-08-2006 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling correction

2. Re: Salt Water Engine Ssystem Descaling

I'm sure it works, but PhOsphoRic is cheaper and easier to get

And.... it works too....

Re: Salt Water Engine Ssystem Descaling

Genesis, I've tried to find PhOsphoRic up here in New York with no luck.
    Any suggestions where I can buy it? Gerry...

Rob, What you are describing sounds like a procedure I have used very successfully. The process in my case involved removing the raw water impeller and reinstalling the cover plate. I then made up a hose connection to the top plate of the raw water strainer, very similiar to a popular unit which is marketed for winterizing. The next step was to remove the connection where the raw water enters the exhaust flow and install a hose to return the liquid back to a 30 gal pail (a clean heavy duty garbage can works fine). Now comes the good part.... get hold of a good high volume pump such as a swimming pool pump and rig it to draw from the 30 gal container (it does not need to be full, just make up enough to do the job). The pump pushes it into the raw water strainer and through the entire raw water system. Run this mix for 4 -6 hrs then shut it down, reconnect the plumbing to the exhaust end and pump the stuff through for the last time. When the container is empty, shut off the pump, re-install the impeller in the raw water pump and take care of the raw water strainer and start the engine. It should be allowed to run for a few minutes to ensure that all the residual is gone.

I used a material called TRAC Barnacle Buster which I got from the manufacturer in Hallandale, Fl. The stuff is biodegradeable and is safe and approved to be used as I described. My nephew skippers a large Mega Yacht on the west coast told and me about it several years ago. He used it to run through the Air conditioning systems on their boat and the result was spectacular. It is safe for rubber hoses and any materials which is normally encountered in engine cooling systems.

I never heard of the other product listed above but I would like to get more info incl. price, safety etc.

Walt

You can get "ospho" from Jamestown Distributors, 401-253-3840
    >www.jamestowndistributors.com< Ron

6. Re: Salt Water Engine Ssystem Descaling

I get it at Home Depot. $12/gallon or so. Very nice price.

And, if the OSpho isn't available - I couldn't find it in NY either, didn't think to try and order it - you can use the DD recommended Oxalic/Muriatic acid. It works very well and is extremely cheap at any hardware store. But as Karl has pointed out in previous posts, the acid mix is more agressive - to the parts AND you, so due caution is in order. When preparing the mix, remember from high school chemistry, pour the ACID into the WATER, not the other way 'round!

i found "ospho" packedge by Skyco in Huntington NY at Compass Rose Marine
    speak to mike he is familar with the product and its uses. phone # is 631-673-4144 hope this helps mark

9. Re: Salt Water Engine Ssystem Descaling

Are the Ospho type products used the same way as Rydlyme...in a running engine??

10. Re: Salt Water Engine Ssystem Descaling

For detailed information on Rydlyme, go to rydlyme.com and then select rydlyme marine from the list on the left.

There is extensive info there...The procedure described matches that posted by Walter. The rydlyme website says to remove the salt water impeller and all zincs. And use a separate pump to flush the system. Looks like rydlyme is far safer than acid type washes but likely is more expensive as well.

Note: This appears to be a good procedure to use when changing raw water impellers...Sounds like I'll add this procedure to my winter list for 06/07.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-08-2006 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added note