Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northstar 952 Bug

I have been using these units as long as I can remember and know how to use them well. However, today, I ran into a new problem. When using the Nav function on a route, the unit will not permit me to "stop" navigating. I can switch to a different route but in all years past, you just press the stop button on the Nav log page to stop navigation. Anyone else ever run into this issue?

Re: Northstar 952 Bug

There may be a bad trace in the keypad. These units are all old, have been for a while, and they are hard to get fixed. Try Marine Electronics of The Outer Banks, in Nags Head, NC> Howard used to repair them, if he's still there. I like my Northstars, wish they were still in business.

Thanks Jim. I do have what appears to be a new or refurbished spare that I may swap in. I will also check to see whether that button works on other screens to see if it is a software glitch or not.

X2 on Marine Electronics of The Outer Banks, in Nags Head, NC. They helped me last year with a Northstar failure. Interesting place to visit, like Sailorman in Lauderdale, only limited to electronics and a wealth of knowledge on all of it.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

John, time for some new electronics, it's 2018, don't be scared, the new stuff is pretty amazing and not really hard to get used to.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

There's nothing wrong with old things. As long as you dont want new things ant the capabilities they bring like accuracy and function.

Call me if you want to go over options.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I am in the "keep your old stuff running if it still gets the job done camp" and still have a 952 as the centerpiece in my helm. It guided me through a 2000nm trip through the Bahamas during our peak travel so It has served us well. I never experienced your problem but they do break a lot. My main problem is the high voltage display driver boards. I have always repaired them myself and have kept my two units running with spare parts off eBay either as new boards or with parts scavenged from used working units. New is always an option especially if it brings capability that you want now but one of the challenges in this case is the unconventional form factor of these units so it's glass work and/or adaptor plates as well as new electronics. Besides in my case I have an electronics background by education and trade plus I love fixing old stuff just for fun. If none of that appeals to you then new may be better. On three other boats that I have been involved with Garmin has been very good equipment. That's where I would go next if I was to decide on new. My Furunos have also had problems with de laminating screens and keypad/trackball issues. Never had a Garmin break.

I understand new technology as much as anyone. I worked on electronics with over 5 million transistors in everything from spacecraft to computers to pacemakers to nuclear missiles. The Apollo space missions had to hit a 1 degree corridor after a 500,000 mile trip with 1962 technology that sucked compared to your iphone. Going from Loran to GPS was huge and WAAS was a nice enhancement but a 952 does all that and I've threaded some pretty scary needles through nasty coral fields with a 952 so you don't need new for accuracy but a lot of people buy a lot of new stuff. I fed the economy by putting three kids through school while I fixed everything myself. One of the reasons that I frequent this site is to follow all you guys refurbishing 30 year old boats and keeping them running, it's fascinating and I learn a lot. I guess there is a different site for the crowd that buys new Hatts every few years and pays to have everything fixed for them. Keep donor units in mind, I do that for all kinds of things from TV's to drill presses. I am in the process of rebuilding a 70 year old drill press. Nothing modern is made that well or made here and in 7 decades they have not improved the accuracy. This press has a 0.001" runout.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 05-26-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Well said.

9. Re: Northstar 952 Bug

A drill press with .001 TIR runout doesn't need rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    A drill press with .001 TIR runout doesn't need rebuilding.
    0.001" on the spindle, 0.003" with a precision rod in the chuck, quill fully retracted after a rebuild with new US/Italian made bearings. The original WWII era originals finally gave up the ghost. The result is a world class us made drill press built the year my dad joined the merchant navy for $80 from a pawn shop plus $30 in parts from eBay.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 05-26-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"