Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Halogen to LED Issue

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks, as I mentioned my input is AC.
    Sorry I missed that detail. Can you pull all the circuits and feed them from one 12 volt breaker or junction box?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

This may not apply in your situation but most of the LED's I have messed with are polarity sensitive so if you dont have the polarity correct on one of them it could possibly cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    This may not apply in your situation but most of the LED's I have messed with are polarity sensitive so if you dont have the polarity correct on one of them it could possibly cause issues.
    I believe that the power source is AC which has no polarity, only attention to hot vs neutral to manage safety. If these LED's accept AC then this is not the issue. If AC is in fact the power source and these LED's require DC then thats the issue, then attention does need to be paid to polarity and if these are raw LED chips, then also regulation.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Well I'm going with sgharford and cricket. Well done guys. In lieu of new transformers/ drivers...

Regarding the requirement of the electronic transformer: explained later in this post, insufficient load will cause intermittent operation of the electronic transformer, if it is below its "stated" minimum load. Sometimes this insufficient loading manifests itself as a pronounced flickering effect or more usually nothing.
    • Due to the way the voltage is generated internally within the electronic transformer, it is unlikely to damage the LED if it fails to meet the minimum load requirement.
    A workaround, if your electronic transformer has a minimum load and it is feeding several light fittings but the sum of the LEDs alone does not reach this minimum value, then you can have one light fitting as a standard halogen bulb and all the other bulbs as LED lights. The combination of the Halogen and LEDbulbs, ensures that the minimum load requirement is met and the electronic transformer operates properly. Otherwise you will need to get either a dedicated supply for LEDs or another electronic transformer that is capable of running from a 0 watt load (ie no load).

Thanks again!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I've never encountered this issue. Are these electronic "transformers" dedicated to these LED's, dedicated to your prior halogens or something else entirely?

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I try not to use transformers, if possible. If you have 12vdc, why not use that instead? Rewire the circuit and forget the transformer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I try not to use transformers, if possible. If you have 12vdc, why not use that instead? Rewire the circuit and forget the transformer.
    I don’t have 12v handy. I’m not understanding why I would want to take out 110ac-12v transformers to install 32-12v transformers. This ain’t broke.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I use imtra fixtures. D.c. 10 to 40 volt. No issue with converting dc to dc.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, thanks.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I took the big, bulky, heat generating, power hog AC transformers out and installed one of these.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e=UTF8&psc=1My ac/dc led are lasting longer and there are no issues with LEDs not lighting regardless of load. This model is 35w and is probable big enough for most applications on the boat.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”