Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Halogen to LED Issue

Someone, I know, has had this happen to them.

I am replacing my 20 watt 12 volt halogen bulbs with JC G4 12V-24V LED 4.5W 5730 LEDs. On a four or more fixture circuit, no problem. On each of (3) three fixture circuits, the LEDs give quick flash--that's it, no light. If I replace just one of the LEDs with one of the old halogen bulbs then everything lights up. Having recently replaced one of the 110v to 12 volt transformers, I know all three circuits are independent of each other and there are no breaker trips.

So what's up?

IMG_9109.JPG
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Halogen to LED Issue

Had something similar happen in my jeep when I replaced cabin lights with LED. There was not enough resistance in the new LED light bulb so the canbus would not recognize there was a bulb in there and simply would not supply power. Had to find an LED with more resistance, that solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    Had something similar happen in my jeep when I replaced cabin lights with LED. There was not enough resistance in the new LED light bulb so the canbus would not recognize there was a bulb in there and simply would not supply power. Had to find an LED with more resistance, that solved the problem.
    Yep, not enough load for the circuits in the transformer to kick in. What size transformers did you install, wouldn't need much for 3 of the led bulbs?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks guys, makes sense. The transformer I just replaced was 75 watts, so that's way more than 3 of these will pull. Since I posted, my hallway four light circuit quits after 3 or four mins, same symptoms. My VIP has three on a circuit and it's been working continuously for an hour, but with one halogen in place.

Everyday I learn something new. I'd like a day off now and again.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Did you replace the transformers with led drivers or regular wire wound transformers? Led are DC devices and should be run by a led driver that supplies DC voltage. LEDs are also polarity sensitive. Hook up wrong way and they don’t work. The dimming in also different on led. AC devices just control voltage. LED dimmers actually pulse (very fast) to dim. LED drivers will not care about minimum load. I know some led are rated for ac and dc voltage. I have found that running them on ac voltage shortened their life.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee