Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Breaking fuel line for Floscan sender

I'd put in priming pumps to fill the racor and everything past it. Just my $.02.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I tap it out at the secondary (vertical line pictured) and back in at the secondary; e.g., secondary to valve to secondary.

Attachment 25884

Say I've worked on the port motor and need to prime. I start the starboard and open the cross feed valve. Now I'm sending fully filtered fuel to the port motor. When I see the fuel pressure gauge on the port motor registering, more or less, the idling pressure of the running motor, I know I'm ready to start the port motor. Being Detroits, they are not much bothered with what little air is then passed being pushed along by lots of fuel.

Example: When I change secondaries, I don't mess with filling the cannister. I just lube the O-ring, screw it on, crank the other side and open the ball valve. When I see pressure building, it's time to start. Then I can gradually close the valve which increases the suction in the port side lines. If the port motor stumbles, you just open the cross feed valve a bit. The whole process is over in under a minute, and there's nothing to wear out.

You may or may not have do a proper bleed with your new motors, but at least with this system you've got plenty of clean fuel helping out. And as I mentioned earlier, I can tell you the cross feed will run two Detroits at cruise off one supply.

As for Hatts pulling from either, correct. And that's fine unless you get trash in the manifold valve. I ran a tank dry on a run to Florida in '16, and the cross feed kept me underway for almost two days. If you loose a fuel pump, cross feeding will let you run two on one.
    Interesting concept. I understand the functional intent and I like the redundancy this provides.
    Question: doesn't this approach also pressurize any upstream filters (primary, Racor)
    on the engine being primed? Is this a problem since Racors are typically on the vacuum side of the
    fuel feed?
    Ken C.
    Comfort Zone
    1978 42' Bertram FBMY
    Sandusky, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by t109a60 View Post
    Interesting concept. I understand the functional intent and I like the redundancy this provides.
    Question: doesn't this approach also pressurize any upstream filters (primary, Racor)
    on the engine being primed? Is this a problem since Racors are typically on the vacuum side of the
    fuel feed?
    I've never tried that on the primaries. My Racors are partially gravity fed from main fuel tank. I've always carried a jug of fuel to top them off at filter changes. But with the engine to be primed running and the cross feed valve partially closed, the Racors will be under vacuum.

The secondary does fill and pressurize when the cross feed valve is open. As I mentioned earlier, it's a neat and clean way to swap filters.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I'd put in priming pumps to fill the racor and everything past it. Just my $.02.
    Ideally on the outlet of the racor if it's more than a few psi but sometimes you have to prime the pickups.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

5. Re: Breaking fuel line for Floscan sender

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    + 1. Fairly cheap and easy to plumb in.

Final result:

I warmed the engine for a couple of minutes to guarantee an instant start. Then plumbed in the Floscan sender at the break in the fuel line near the stabiliser cover. There was no fuel in the line at all. I also did not bother to use the new priming connection (see earlier photo.)

Started the engine and it ran perfectly smoothly with only a hint of any air bubbles. After 20 seconds it had all cleared. I guess the engine's fuel pump is pretty efficient and can draw diesel quickly from the Racor/tank. In fact there were more starting/air issues when I recently replaced the engine mounted filters which are after the fuel pump.