Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Refrigerator replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    As a thought to Mr Clarksons response.

Im sure many design decisions are also based on the governments need to impede. They set standards for efficiency that require the components to be less than sturdy in order to be "efficient".

No one can get the old solid long term reliable components to do things they were not designed for. No one can get the new lighter weight components to outlast the good old heavy duty stuff.

Its progress.

Well, some true and some not. Take a company like S-Z back then: A small family owned business that experienced rapid growth reaching farther and farther away from their upper mid-west roots. Sweating frigs weren't a big issue early on. At the same time, the majors had long ago solved the problem with low wattage mullion heaters or by running warm refrigerant around the door. Retooling for that in was vastly more costly for a low volume manufacturer. I think that's why they chose to blame the consumer; they were adamant that nothing was wrong with their product. The customers were just as adamant about the puddles. By the time the next efficiency standards came around, they had to retool anyway and brought out all new designs that fixed the sweating problem.

Some other good appliance examples out there of the plastic stuff outlasting the old fashioned stuff. Kitchen Aide was eviscerated by GE poly tub dishwashers were close half the weight. We all thought the GE was junk--we were wrong.

I've owned five Mercedes cars and my dad had a few starting in 1960. They've mostly been excellent and long lasting cars. But the 2012 E550 coupe I presently drive takes the cake. 217,000+ miles, more HP than God and never uses a quart of oil between changes. It's loaded with electronics (2012 era) and weighs lots less than anything I drove before. 450 or so HP, twin turbos, and I get 28 mpg at 80. My dad crashed his 1960 190D head-on when a drunk crossed the line. The drunk died, and my dad walked. No airbags or safety glass, just a seatbelt and well designed mass. No one would disagree that I'm lots safer in my lighter weight car with lots of plastic. Knocking on wood, nothing breaks on it. Some newer and lightweight stuff is just better.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

True but my intent was the lighter weight copper and or aluminum to save power. thinner walls in the tubing and alum extrusions are efficient just not as durable.

Kind of like the 0W20 oil they use to meet mileage spec.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Speaking of cars, sometimes manufacturers try things to save a buck or to improve things. Back in the 90s both BMW and Jaguar tried nikasil on the cylinder walls. Was supposed to be the next great thing... until people would start the cars cold and shut them off right away like after moving out of a garage. Well the overfilling would wash oil off the walls and the engine would loose compression. Jaguar replaced thousands of V8s... same with BMW

Back to fridges... the summit we have up in the skylounge does drip condensation even though the AC is very cold I often have to wipe the underside of the drawers wven though the seals look fine
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Have you done the dollar bill test on that gasket? Close on bill and see if there're any spots with no resistance. That may be your condensation source.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC