Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Changing transducer in water

Quote Originally Posted by PJ61 View Post
    Another temporary option is to shoot the transducer through the hull. I have done this on two boats and one was a wood hull with 2 inch mahogany planking. I took a short length of 4 inch pvc pipe, cut an angle to fit your hull contour and 4200 it to the inside your hull. Glue a threaded cap on top, fill it window washer fluid and bolt your transducer to the cap. Easy cheap temp fix to get you into your next haul out. Good luck
    I am trying to picture this in my head. I am assuming the washer fluid is acting as a medium to transmit the signal on through the hull. Interesting idea.

Spoke with Scott and he has the Garmin box in stock and is sending to me. It is supposed to work with my transducer per our conversation. He also confirmed the removable part is just for speed and temp not depth. It this works it will be great news. Scott was really helpful and got my order out quickly so I could have for this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Spoke with Scott and he has the Garmin box in stock and is sending to me. It is supposed to work with my transducer per our conversation. He also confirmed the removable part is just for speed and temp not depth. It this works it will be great news. Scott was really helpful and got my order out quickly so I could have for this weekend

I am sure if he said it will work it will Scott has helped me in the past always good info and helpful.
    Just don't tell him I said that it may make his head swell
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

At this point I dont care how much it swells as long as it dont pop lol. I had a local guy that does work on other boats in our marina and fishes with one of them. I talked with him about paying him to come diagnose things when I first got the boat. After several no shows and broken promises I got tired of waiting and bailed off on my own. He is a Garmin dealer but has lost my business. I may be purchasing more stuff from Scott in the future. Its a shame the way some businesses take the customer for granted. I would rather use a local person but thats not always the best fit for me.

5. Re: Changing transducer in water

Quote Originally Posted by PJ61 View Post
    Another temporary option is to shoot the transducer through the hull. I have done this on two boats and one was a wood hull with 2 inch mahogany planking. I took a short length of 4 inch pvc pipe, cut an angle to fit your hull contour and 4200 it to the inside your hull. Glue a threaded cap on top, fill it window washer fluid and bolt your transducer to the cap. Easy cheap temp fix to get you into your next haul out. Good luck
    Yep as long as its not a cored hull (as most of our Hatteras are). I have actually had some success even through coring in a bind. Also you can use RV antifreeze as well as a submerging fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    Yep as long as its not a cored hull (as most of our Hatteras are). I have actually had some success even through coring in a bind. Also you can use RV antifreeze as well as a submerging fluid.
    Supposedly my 55c is cored only above the water line. Below water line is supposed to be solid glass

Works in a pinch but not always the best answer.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/62369
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wink Re: Changing transducer in water

Got the black box Scott sent and to my amazement the depth now works. I am getting 0 for speed but of course I am at the dock. Temp first came up reading 150-160 degrees but now I only have dashes for the temp. maybe the hot water melted something lol. Any suggestions on getting temp to work would be appreciated but I have the main thing I need going right now

Depends on the main unit and software. You can do temp offset adjustments if it's reading.

What screen and software do you have?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It is a 4210 screen. When I turn it on says version 7.80 software version. When I just went in bridge to do this I noticed it now doesn't show temp. Before it showed temp and 150-160 degrees. After I turned off to permanently route 8 pin cable and back on it only showed the dashed line. Now it doesn't even have a temp line.