Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Changing transducer in water

So I have finally got around to the electronics portion of my boat primarily because its fishing time. The old Raymarine stuff wore me out trying to get it going. My slip neighbor bought some new equipment so I got his Garmin stuff including a GSD24 sounder and plotter. Everyone tells me there is a magic black box that will adapt any transducer to the 8 pin Garmin however mine is a 7 pin Raymarine and from what little reading I can manage it seems it may not be comparable due to a "sense" wire. With that being said I looked all over my transducer for a name or number and cant find anything. I finally found that the blue base and all dimensions equal an Airmar B744 which has a removable core and a plug to temporarily install while you clean a paddle wheel. I havent removed mine but just looking at the chains, pins etc it looks like "the one". I also see where Garmin has a B744 model transducer that has a set up with similar measurements. My question is does anyone know if I can pull the old one out, use the temporary plug and put the Garmin inner portion in instead of hauling out the boat and changing it all. If the different brands center core change over would save hauling out the boat which I dont have time to do since fishing season opens soon

Re: Changing transducer in water

That plug is only for changing the speed paddle wheel. You need to change the whole transducer which will require hauling the boat. I would call Garmin to see if they have a solution.

Agree with sixty. Not an item or time to save a few bucks. Good luck on the hard.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Another temporary option is to shoot the transducer through the hull. I have done this on two boats and one was a wood hull with 2 inch mahogany planking. I took a short length of 4 inch pvc pipe, cut an angle to fit your hull contour and 4200 it to the inside your hull. Glue a threaded cap on top, fill it window washer fluid and bolt your transducer to the cap. Easy cheap temp fix to get you into your next haul out. Good luck

Garmin has a magic box for this. What connector is on the get?

I can look up the right number later or tomorrow when I'm home. I may even have one in stock because we use them often.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Garmin has a magic box for this. What connector is on the get?

I can look up the right number later or tomorrow when I'm home. I may even have one in stock because we use them often.
    Bob the connector on the transducer is a 7pin Raymarine. The Garmin GSD24 is an 8 pin. Everyone is telling me the magic box will work however when I go to the Airmar site it says it wont because of a Raymarine sense wire. My Raymarine box was a DSM250 and wouldn't read depth. If you have one in stock and it will work let me know. I put this on hull truth also and a guy replied that you can change the inside part with the Garmin one and implied it included the transducer. said he does it all the time ??

The inside part is the speed sensor not the ducer. The transducer is the larger base.

If you wire the system properly with the sense wire it will work on the garman with few things to remember.

Speed and temp will be addressed by the units differently. Temp has an off set to make it closer. The speed has never been an issue as the GPS has more accurate speed for cruisers and fisherman replace the unit for more function.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The inside part is the speed sensor not the ducer. The transducer is the larger base.

If you wire the system properly with the sense wire it will work on the garman with few things to remember.

Speed and temp will be addressed by the units differently. Temp has an off set to make it closer. The speed has never been an issue as the GPS has more accurate speed for cruisers and fisherman replace the unit for more function.
    Bob how to I order the part from you. I am not worried about speed as you say GPS will handle that. I mainly need to get my sounder up as I fish wrecks alot and need to find them

Im sorry I mean Scott. I guess I read Bob in the Boatsb some how

PM sent
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.