Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What to do...very confused

[QUOTE=SKYCHENEY;331759I would not be afraid to own one but I don't care for the looks of the 55-63' models with the short bow and no side decks.
    [/QUOTE]

Minor point of correction. These boats were offered either as wide body or side deck models. I have the side deck version. Another thing to be aware of is around 1989, the window frames switched from a high quality stainless steel to a cheaper coated aluminum. Go stainless if possible. I did and 30 years on I have zero window leaks and no corroded. Bubbling or flaking frames.

I agree with you Toronto. The Hatteras 54 was one beautiful boat in both style and function. While I love the layout of the Viking 50 MY that was built from 1989-1994, it was a horrible sea boat on many levels, with a number of issues. The Viking 55 and 63 on the other hand were very good boats with a nice ride and an interior layout that blows away the Hatteras 54. Some Viking 55 and 63 models offer full walk around decks. All featured a galley up configuration. An inredible master stateroom with a home-sized head and bathtub. And the best feature of the Viking 55/63, which is a full staircase to the bridge deck with no ladders to climb. Plus a singular walk-in engine room with easy access to everything. Another boat with a superior interior layout was the 48 Ocean and 53 Ocean Motor Yachts built from 1988-1993. Similar to the 55/63 Viking, but no balsa coring. Ocean used closed cell foam for the coring material throughout the boat. Not a great sea boat either, but faster than the Hatteras with exceptional interior comfort. Remember, Hatteras used extensive balsa coring after 1981.

PS. A friend of mine owned a 63 Viking walk around model a number of years ago with 1271s, and many times he wishes he had it back.

Pizzazsdaddy, thanks for sharing all that knowledge. A great help. I am finding myself really
    leaning to the 55 for the staircase and private access to the fly bridge. I do prefer the guest stateroom layout of the 50, and we have no need for four staterooms, but who has ever said they have too much space on a boat ! The extra beam and single large engine room is a dream.
    Do you know if a 55 ever left the factory with 12/71. WOW, what a package that would be.
    As to the living area, I agree the 55 seems miles ahead of either of the 54 layouts. Still love a Hatteras
    but in this size the Viking seems to be winning.
    Thanks to everyone for your input. Will let you know how we progress.

Alex / Toronto