Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Kohler 15.5EOZD not cranking

My Kohler 15.5EOZD Generator (@10 yrs old) won't crank at all. Displays CC1 (hearing fuel pump start) then nothing. After the display reads OC . In other words, it does not even try to do a second crank cycle.

On the last use 2 weeks ago it worked great and shut down as per normal. I assumed this was a battery issue as the bank was 5-1/4 years old so I went ahead and changed the batteries - same issue. Checked the three fuses on harness- all fine.

Starter is on back of generator- against a bulk-head - so testing this is a bit tricky.

Any other preliminary checks i should make?
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Kohler 15.5EOZD not cranking

there is another fuse behind the control panel check it. if it is not blown i would call 252-723-0245 and ask Ray Woods to help you
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

UPDATE

Opened Controller panel and exposed RIB (Relay Interface Board) behind it.

When I switch to RUN and it goes to CC!- all three LEDS on the RIB light up.

Next- Tested with a meter at the starter. 12.9 V is present to starter terminals. When switched to RUN, 12.9V is registering on the wire to the solenoid during the CC1 cycle.

Still - nothing. No buzz, click or anything at starter. I even turned the engine from the large pulley- turns no problem.

I removed the starter completely off the boat and tested on a bench. When I energize the solenoid - the starter works as expected.

Now stumped. Going to clean up everything and re-install starter this week and try again.
    MV "Mystery"
    Trinidad & Tobago

To complete this thread and add closure. I finally solved the problem this morning.

Kohler had suggested changing the relay interface board- which I ordered and couriered in and changed myself on Sunday. Made absolutely no difference. Same problem.

Contacted a local generator technician who came in this morning and immediately read the schematic and said there's another relay between Relay interface board and starter! ( no where seems to mention this- in particular the troubleshooting flow chart nor with telephone support- who only suggested changing the relay interface board, then if not solved the controller unit itself). I had asked if the relay was built onto the board ( Yes was the answer) and if the relay alone could be changed (answer was no)

Upon locating separate relay and playing with the connectors on the "newfound" relay - it started! I will order and change this relay anyway .
    MV "Mystery"
    Trinidad & Tobago