Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air conditioner questions

I'm having the following air conditioner problems and would like to ask for some input from the HOF experts:
    1. One of the salon units runs about 5 seconds and then trips the breaker (30A). This only happens in the AC mode, not the heat mode. I replaced the breaker but same problem. What should I check?
    2. One of the other AC units appears to need some R-22, which I have on hand. At 80 deg F water temp, what pressure should I need on the suction side of the system? Air temp here is about 85 deg.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Michael E.
    Southern Comfort
    1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Suffolk, VA

2. Re: Air conditioner questions

This is a copy of the charging curves for R-22
    Attached Images

Re: Air conditioner questions

Thanks Beachcomber. Any chance you could attach this table in a format that I can open? It gets a bit fuzzy when I zoom.
    Thanks.

If you PM me your email address I can send it to you in .PDF.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    If you PM me your email address I can send it to you in .PDF.
    I'd be obliged if you'd include me. Email address above. Thanks!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert,
    Sent the file to you by email.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Is the heat mode resistive heat strips or reverse cycle refrigeration?

What breaker is tripping? Is it the one on the main panel?

Can you get an amp clamp on the power feed to the compressor and see what the amp draw is as it cuts out? If so, compare it to the good one and see if the compressor has a LRA rating on the label. Also check to make sure that you have proper voltage during operation.

Do you know what the high and low side pressures are at cutoff? How about the good unit?

There are a number of possibilities so we need to narrow them down. First is to confirm that your amp draw at the compressor is over the limit and see what the supply voltage is. It can be compressor mechanical problems (bad valves or bearings, etc), capacitor problems, low gas causing overheating, a restriction, poor heat exchange performance causing high pressures, malfunctioning reversing valve (if heat pump), and so forth.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I would like a copy too if possible. brian@raganbuilders.net is address. I had one of mine cycling off on high pressure yesterday. I evacuated some of the refrigerant and got it to run and cool but would like the temp/pressure chart to get it exact

To make certain that you have a system that is in good overall condition you need to look at a few things. To evaluate the charge you have to look at the high and low sides together along with the water and air temps. If you have normal low side but excessive high side charge then it might be your heat exchanger for instance and lowering the charge is the wrong permanent solution. You should also always check the temp of the top of the can at the discharge as well as the delta T between the input to the evaporator and the output from the closest vent. Also, is the suction line sweating near the service valve but without frost?

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

George, thanks for the advice. I'll attempt to do this troubleshooting this weekend.
    Michael E