Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: coolant in 12v71 oil

Cricket, thank you very much for the feedback. I guess I really didn't think about the way I phrased that but a lot of the "while we're in here" stuff we have already started. We do plan on replacing the 30 year old Onan and obviously batteries to go 24v. I have no idea the age of the battery cables so those will be a definite swap out.

I have read G-Force's thread at least six times already as he encountered a lot of what I am, the framed floor, cutting rear bulkhead out, etc etc. Oh, and about that whole seakeeper thang, we had them on our vessel two weeks ago with an install already in the works so I guess that "while we're in there" is bypassed.

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Cricket, thank you very much for the feedback. I guess I really didn't think about the way I phrased that but a lot of the "while we're in here" stuff we have already started. We do plan on replacing the 30 year old Onan and obviously batteries to go 24v. I have no idea the age of the battery cables so those will be a definite swap out.

I have read G-Force's thread at least six times already as he encountered a lot of what I am, the framed floor, cutting rear bulkhead out, etc etc. Oh, and about that whole seakeeper thang, we had them on our vessel two weeks ago with an install already in the works so I guess that "while we're in there" is bypassed.
    And don't forget mama. Mama will want a new interior seeing as you're having to rip out the old anyway.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    And don't forget mama. Mama will want a new interior seeing as you're having to rip out the old anyway.
    Forget mama? Mommas making all these decisions already.

We already have salon flooring bought and a couch picked out. This mechanical issue set those back.

I just installed a new wine fridge where the original ice maker was in the salon, mamas happy about that. Oh, and she got a new faucet in the galley
    Last edited by ageless; 06-11-2018 at 02:49 PM.

things took a little turn since my last post. My mechanic wanted to continue pulling the head since we were so close to doing so anyway. We never were able to separate the manifold from it so they were pulled together. After removing the head we noted there was water intrusion in cylinders 3,4, and 5, but they all were without scoring. With these findings I decided to dig deeper into the cause of the intrusion as a cracked head was unlikely to cause intrusion in three cylinders. The mechanic took them to his shop and in the process of continuing the separation process he and his helper "broke the head", literally busted a chunk off of it and still didn't get the bolt removed from the manifold. The belief is that the manifold is cracked so a pressure test is in the works in the AM.

Tell us how they managed to do that please?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Tell us how they managed to do that please?
    I am waiting on some answers myself, I can't imagine they are going to involve sensible efforts. The mechanic is 77, is kind of difficult to understand on the phone but I'm pretty sure I heard "chisel"

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I am waiting on some answers myself, I can't imagine they are going to involve sensible efforts. The mechanic is 77, is kind of difficult to understand on the phone but I'm pretty sure I heard "chisel"
    Chisel is a bad word on a casting. I hope you can get a resolution. I get the impression you are reconsidering re-powering.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Chisel is a bad word on a casting. I hope you can get a resolution. I get the impression you are reconsidering re-powering.
    It is definitely still on the forefront, especially knowing that now what was believed to be a cracked head has turned into a definite cracked head along with who knows what caused the water intrusion