Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: coolant in 12v71 oil

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    A better question might be, can you remove the boat from the engine?
    That’s exactly right. Hatteras didn’t even give me hatch’s, floor and aft bulkhead would have to be cut out to remove an engine. Who knows, may get this head off and still have to pull the engine

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    That's not the same seventeen year old son that drilled a hole in the bottom is it???
    LMAO!!! Yes, he is being closely monitored

Can you roll the engine over with the starter? Perhaps compression will break the rust and lift the head.......

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    That’s exactly right. Hatteras didn’t even give me hatch’s, floor and aft bulkhead would have to be cut out to remove an engine. Who knows, may get this head off and still have to pull the engine
    Not as bad as all that. Just cut hull and slide it out sideways.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Whittle down a 2X4 to fit into the exhaust port and use it to wiggle the head loose?
    Regards
    Dan

Pull the head and manifold as one. Heavy but probably the beast bet. Have it fixed in a shop on a bench or machine properly.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I believe my last overhaul had two broken liners and that caused radiator fluid in the oil. Ultimately, with mine I replaced the block because the liners kept NOT fitting properly after a period of time. The mechanics decided it was just bad metal or somehow an overstressed block.

Huge turn in the progress gentleman. After discussing all the necessary steps to just remove the head and manifold (removing half the floor, A frame, chiropractor visits) we have decided we are going to repower instead. When we purchased this vessel we hoped for five years out of this power but it is what it is. I have no doubt had I put the amount of time into pulling these that I have trying to pull the head they would both be ready to come out. My anxiety level is through the roof, I fear the "while we're in here's". We do plan to convert to 24v but outside that we don't want to get into too much more

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Huge turn in the progress gentleman. After discussing all the necessary steps to just remove the head and manifold (removing half the floor, A frame, chiropractor visits) we have decided we are going to repower instead. When we purchased this vessel we hoped for five years out of this power but it is what it is. I have no doubt had I put the amount of time into pulling these that I have trying to pull the head they would both be ready to come out. My anxiety level is through the roof, I fear the "while we're in here's". We do plan to convert to 24v but outside that we don't want to get into too much more
    Congratulations on your decision to re-power. But, the "while we're in here" thing ain't gonna work, and you know it.

Keep us up to date on what you're doing with lots of pictures.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

There's no chance you won't catch the "while we're here" bug.
    Know many that did their repowers on the "cheap" and very much regretted it later.
    At the least figure on doing all new fuel lines, battery cabling, clean and paint ER, remove rebuild or new thru hulls and associated hoses, exhaust hoses, and that's just the beginning.
    How's the generator and it's systems, air conditioning equipment, etc.
    As painful as that will be the pain will be far worse if you don't take care of everything that you can while the engines are out etc.
    Been through this twice, got it pretty perfect the second time, had 11 years to map it out. The second repower would not have ended up as good as it did if I wasn't pushed hard buy the guy I had over seeing it. There were some battles but he was right 100% on everything, probably spent an extra $25k but we're still reaping the benefits of those extra upgrades 17 years later.
    You should search the forum for G-Force's posts on his 55c repower with C18's, I thought mine turned out perfect until I saw his, they even added a Seakeeper,
    Last edited by Cricket; 06-11-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E