Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: coolant in 12v71 oil

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Don't run it it will mix the oil with the fluid and make things worse.
    no worries, I'm not starting it. I've emptied the oil pan and filled with fresh oil, drained all the coolant, as well.

Call into mechanic but would like some idea where I might start to find the cause of intrusion

There isn’t a head gasket. It probably got hotter than 180 and cooked the rubber seals between the head and the block. Pressure up the cooling up system and see if it leaks down rather rapidly. It likely won’t hold pressure. If you have to pull the heads check for cracks around the valves.

Of course I haven't seen it, But Bobb is right on. It's not emulsified, so the coolant tank pressure forced coolant into the pan after shutdown...that's good. The 12v71 is a dry liner, so it's nor a liner seal, which leaves the oil coolers or one of the many rubber head seals. The rubber head seals aren't known for just letter go....but an over heat would do it... The oil coolers do wear out (corrode). Fortunately on a 12v71, they are pretty accessible and easy to change out.

Update--pulled the airbox covers and a heavy cup of coolant came out of 6R.
    Should I proceed to take the head off and have it tested?

Pop the valve covers off, as well air air box covers, partially refill the coolant tank, pressurize the coolant tank...look for leaks high and low.

Bring in somebody that knows what they're doing. Better get your wallet ready for this one.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I sure am sorry to hear the news. We have the same boat. Keep us in the loop.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

8. Re: coolant in 12v71 oil

Which hose failed? It sounds like the head is cracked but that doesn't happen to 6R or 6L very often.

The head may have failed first causing the hose to burst. You can check the remaining coolant in the HE with a test strip to see if exhaust residue is present.
    Last edited by kelpy; 05-17-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Would 180 degrees really be considered over heating? I run all day long at 170.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Bring in somebody that knows what they're doing. Better get your wallet ready for this one.
    Discussing with the Mrs which direction to go, she’s been surprisingly accepting of repower, she insist on a new fridge and eliminating the raw water heads in return