Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

coolant in 12v71 oil

blew a coolant hose yesterday, caught the temp rising just as it hit 180. Shut the motor off and was towed in by an excellent Capt Lee and Tim from Tow Boat US Beaufort, NC. Replaced the hose but was reflecting on the possibilities from overheat (although minimal) and my gut told me to check the oil. Really? Dipstick read almost 4" above the full mark. Checked the gear level to ensure I didn't blow a seal under tow but gear level was perfect. Drained the oil and got 4+ gal of other than oil fluids in the beginning of the drain.
    Suggestions where I go from here to determine where the intrusion occured

https://youtu.be/p05nfk6hNMU?

Re: coolant in 12v71 oil

That's definitely not Detroit oil. At least it's not mixed in and all over the engine.

Drain the rest of the coolant ASAP.

Get some oil in there to protect the parts that are good.

I'd look for a good Detroit guy who has experience with your engines or it may be time for a complete overhaul. It can be a lot of things so
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wow. That looks like all coolant and no oil. Yep. Better drain and refill with oil ASAP. Should run it for a minute to circulate the new oil and coat the parts as well.

Don't run it it will mix the oil with the fluid and make things worse.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

looks just like fleet charge coolant. wonder if a heat exchanger failed letting the coolant into the oil causing it to over heat. And hose blew as a result?? Seems like it would be more than a blown hose to cause coolant to get into oil

6. Re: coolant in 12v71 oil

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    looks just like fleet charge coolant. wonder if a heat exchanger failed letting the coolant into the oil causing it to over heat. And hose blew as a result?? Seems like it would be more than a blown hose to cause coolant to get into oil
    If an oil cooler core deteriorated and was leaking that could cause it, but I don't think main HE's are anywhere connected to the oil at least they are not on our 12-71's.

Interesting thought that something major occurred before the hose blew, guess I never thought of that, automatically associated the overheat with the hose splitting and spewing coolant everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Wow. That looks like all coolant and no oil. Yep. Better drain and refill with oil ASAP. Should run it for a minute to circulate the new oil and coat the parts as well.
    The first 4+ gallons that pumped out were in fact coolant, then 9 gallons of oil followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    if the overheat caused a head gasket to go or a head to crack the fluid could easily get into the oil

The coolant hit the oil pan after the engi e was shut down or it would be mixed and emulsified
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.