Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: coolant in 12v71 oil

I had a 35 year experience detroit mechanic on the boat today. He is unable to perform tasks due to his health but he provided some guidance and knowledge on what steps to take. He was really happy with the condition of the pistons, based on observing through inspection holes. We then filled the engine with water and put 7lbs of pressure in it. We observed each drain back hole in the heads and saw no water intrusion there. We did experience the same issue I noted when I pulled the inspection covers and turned the engine over, had a steady flow of water from 6R. As best I can tell, the flow is coming from the inner rear side of the sleeve, there is no water in the sleeve, and I canīt say for sure whether the water is flowing down from the inner rear side or is coming from lower down. As soon as I get my hands on a borescope hopefully I will be able to visualize the cause, whether it's coming from the ports or elsewhere

Did you ever find the cause of the water?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Did you ever find the cause of the water?
    I decided to pull 6L and 5L inspection covers to see if coolant was visible there. 6L showed signs of coolant intrusion that was old, 5L had some small water drops around the liner. I turned the motor over to see if 5L was a result of the leak in 6 but I believe it to be vise versa, found coolant inside 5L liner on top of the piston. We are pulling that head tomorrow

Thanks. sorry to hear that. hopefully just a gasket and not too much damage. Hope you caught it early enough.

Well, I guess it happens to the best of them. Last night on Deadliest Catch Wild Bill's boat had water in one of the engines that got there from a bad weld in the exhaust pipe that exits the top of the boat stack! Water was pouring out of the engine. Crank was all rusted as the engine sat for two months with the water in it.

I've been turning wrenches on my personal stuff for 25 years and I have learned that if it's mechanical anything can happen whenever. I do my best to ensure nothing I can control is the culprit but like my situation, you can only control so much

I swear I will never understand......

Progress on head removal was going GREAT!! I had my 17yo son turning wrenches with me, I was really happy with the way things were going, and then, like always seems to happen to me, as we were getting down to the last few steps before being able to remove the head low and behold, something major happens. One of the manifold bolts snapped about 1/2" below the head. I didn't think it would be a big deal, manifold should still just slide right off, right? Oh no, not this one, I believe the bolt is rusted or corroded in there, the manifold won't budge. We've tried to wedge between the manifold and head, no movement, we've tried to heat around the bolt (although difficult with the amount of iron around the bolt), no movement, we've managed to drill out a good 1.5" of the bolt in hopes it would free up, no movement. I feel like drilling out the bolt is the only option but these SOB's are 8" long.

Any other words of wisdom?

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I swear I will never understand......

Progress on head removal was going GREAT!! I had my 17yo son turning wrenches with me, I was really happy with the way things were going, and then, like always seems to happen to me, as we were getting down to the last few steps before being able to remove the head low and behold, something major happens. One of the manifold bolts snapped about 1/2" below the head. I didn't think it would be a big deal, manifold should still just slide right off, right? Oh no, not this one, I believe the bolt is rusted or corroded in there, the manifold won't budge. We've tried to wedge between the manifold and head, no movement, we've tried to heat around the bolt (although difficult with the amount of iron around the bolt), no movement, we've managed to drill out a good 1.5" of the bolt in hopes it would free up, no movement. I feel like drilling out the bolt is the only option but these SOB's are 8" long.

Any other words of wisdom?
    That's not the same seventeen year old son that drilled a hole in the bottom is it???
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Can you remove the engine from the boat? It's far easier, cleaner and more professional to build the engine properly on a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Bert54 View Post
    Can you remove the engine from the boat? It's far easier, cleaner and more professional to build the engine properly on a stand.
    A better question might be, can you remove the boat from the engine?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC