Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras Door Locks

Not sure this qualifies as a technical question but here we go. My 1976 LRC uses exterior door locks that use a "bit key/skeleton key", with the lock mechanism providing a see through path to the inside. I would like to have locks that limit the breeze and bugs that use these paths. Anyone aware of a replacement lock that is not see through?

Thanks
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Re: Hatteras Door Locks

Pete, I have the same problem. I ordered new lock sets from Sam’s but they were a completely different size so I sent them back. So don’t waste time trying those. Hope you find an answer and if you do please share. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

try the brass works in deland fla www. marinedoorandcabinet hardware.com

I am considering fabricating a “swinging” brass or SS cover plate for the lock out of 1/8-inch stock. These could mount both on the interior and exterior of the doors. We have a few metal shops here... I will post the fabrication price when we’re done.BestChuck on Chartmaker 53 MY

Is there something wrong with yours?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Chuck, been thinking of something like that for a long time, let me know costs and I will help splitting them up with you. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I am interested in three. Perhaps you could look at just a key hole cover and a hinged at the top lift up flap for the entire lock face. I get a good bit of air and bugs through the finger insert area also. Today I make do with 1.5 inch masking tape, so most anything would be an improvement.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Is there something wrong with yours?
    40 knot winds are pretty exciting thrunthose keyholes when the temps are in the low 40’s and the rains are beating us up. I live in the “slot” of the Golden Gate Bridge!

What brand did you choose in the end? Many advise Drotto Boat Latch Lock on forums. However, this lock isn't as secure as the reviews say. In addition, Drotto Boat Latch is currently not compatible with pontoon or flat-bottom boats. Probably, this brand is popular because it offers the cheapest prices on the market. The first time, I couldn't latch it by myself and check out locksmith south woodford to help.
    Last edited by Gavra Meads; 11-04-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Try Amazon for the wing door locks - I deleted my Boat Wish List that had them on it, and can't find them but they were 5-Oceans I think.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL