Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potential owner

Potential owner

I am looking to purchase a new ( to me) boat. I currently own a 3055 Bayliner ciera. Previously owned a 42' silverton convertible. One of the boats I am considering is a 53' Hatteras Motor Yacht. 1980-1990. Anything I should look for? Any concerns? Any thoughts on a Hatteras vs a Silverton or Viking or Ocean.

Re: Potential owner

Search this forum there are many many discussions on this, including this excellent one:

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...-53MY-and-58YF
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Re: Potential owner

George posted a good thread on what to look for

Generally speaking the built quality and system quality of a Hatteras, even older, is a lot better than Silverton and Ovean, as well older Vikings.

Viking didn't start building its own motoryachts until a few years ago. Before that they were built for Viking by Lazzara (late 80s and 90s) in Tampa and then by Princess in the U.K. The lazzara built Viking MYs were pretty good and more less as good as Hatteras. Prior to that, early 80s, I don't recall whether Viking built any MYs I delivered a late 80s Viking 63 MY a few years ago and it was a good, well built boat.

As important as the original quality, if not more, is the care and maintenance the boat has received. Once neglected, it takes a lot of effort and $ to bring them back.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat