Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Water Heater for 53MY?

I need to replace the oem 20 gal water heater anyone know offhand what model will go through the eng room door and mount on the oem bracket. The oem is an economaster M20 but I can't find a listing for it anywhere.

The element has burnt out because some idiot forgot that when he winterized, he drained all the water out and shut off the water input valves to the heater. Then, when the idiot unwinterized the water system yesterday and turned on the circuit breakers for the heater, there was no water in the heater and the element burnt out, just like the warnings say it will with no water in the tank!

After doing this I, er, I mean "the idiot" figured it was best to replace the old heater (25 years!) than to just try and find a heating element.

Note to the idiot: Make sure you keep notes when you winterize; especially when you try a different procedure than you usually use!

Re: Water Heater for 53MY?

The Raritan Fiberglass one will go in, you have to cut a small section out of the inner lip on the engine room door opening with a finish saw. After install, just lay use epoxy and a couple screws (flush mount and fill) and it goes right back on.

I think for sake of having to remove the water heater, I would try to find aheating element. It would save you a lot of trouble.

Dont forget to replace the sacraficial anode in the water heater if it has one.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Well, with the help of the trusty internet I now found I have two options: A new water heater (and the PITA associated with removing/installing) OR a new heating element for $7.97! http://www.plumbingsupply.com/elements.html

Although it makes sense to put in a nice new heater after 25 years of service, it's hard to argue with an 8 dollar fix - especially since the tank has shown no sign of leaking or any other problem.

Ain't the internet great!

The Idiot, yea I know him too, he’s been on my boat a few times…

Don’t ya’ hate it when he shows up?

Hey, Mike, keep "the idiot" on your side of the pond for a little while longer so I know it's safe to start things here in Ct. This Sat and Sun looks like big work days and I already have enough idio....I mean help.

Thanks!

K