Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Florida Marina Opinions

Would appreciate opinions on extended stay marinas, Jacksonville and points South. Some early planning for next winter.

To help limit the scope of the request, first to keep the Admiral happy, more a resort setting than a working boatyard, for the Captain slips protected from passing traffic wakes, less densely populated areas, but not in the weeds. Our family includes 9lbs. and 12lbs. dogs so we need a pet friendly business.

Thanks
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

2. Re: Florida Marina Opinions

Except for
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    but not in the weeds.
    my homeport fits your request: Plantation Yacht Harbor in Islamorada.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Florida Marina Opinions

You might inquire at the Marina at Ortega Landing in Jacksonville, I did a walk through a month or so ago with the manager when we were thinking of moving from up the river. It seemed to be a first class operation with a nice clubhouse and pool. Under 60' OAL you should be able to find a slip that is protected from wakes and waves too. The only thing that people mentioned that they didn't like was the train whistle crossing the nearby bridge late at night, on the other hand it is close to stores and just down the road from the Avondale bar and dining district.
    Last edited by Westfield 11; 05-10-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Bump, from the two responses I have read, I assume Florida must be pretty thin with nice extended stay marina options. IRMA must have done a real number on the facilities.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

I was going to reply but I assumed you were thinking NE Florida which I am not that familiar with. Most of the time I just pass through on the way south. In St. Augustine Camachee Cove is dog friendly and protected from wakes. In Stuart there is Sunset bay that is dog friendly and semi protected. Soveral Harbor in N Palm Beach would tickle your wife to death. Many restaurants at the marina and shopping nearby. It is expensive though. It is very well protected, and semi good for dog walking.

I think you need to narrow it down a bit geographically, down to areas that would be of interest especially when it comes to cruising grounds. If you want to enjoy taking the boat out and anchor for a day or two then locations that are strictly ICW will not be very appealing. Central Florida around the cape, Indian river etc may be a good option

If you plan on doing trips to the Bahamas or the keys then further south would be better

The keys are nice, and I ll second Plantation Yacht Harbor. Very nice place. Downside is the traffic in the keys, getting worst every year

Personally I love the Biscayne Bay aera here in Miami. So much to do,close to the Bahamas and to the keys Yes kiaminis a big city with traffic but if you don't commute to work it s not bad

Also for Bahamas trips, weather windows are longer from Miami than from palm beach
    Last edited by Pascal; 05-14-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

To focus on the ideal location, it would be in the Stuart area. South of Stuart things get congested quickly and North of Stuart the benefits of a warmer climate seem to diminish rapidly. Our plan basically is to have the boat become a Winter home, with little to no cruising planned. Just a nice marina, a rental car, and nice weather for at least January and February.

But, the purpose of the post is to get some outside the box ideas. So, please do not be constrained by our current thinking.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

8. Re: Florida Marina Opinions

We are big fans of Fort Pierce City Marina; good floating docks with slip-side pump out, walking distance from numerous resturants, hardware, and 7-11 store. With a car, many other oportunites for dining, shopping and entertainment. Easy ocean access, and the best fuel prices on the mid-coast. And, a great staff.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Does it have to be a marina? How about joining a yacht club?

I always thought Ft Pierce City Marina was nice when I went up and down the ICW. Good inlet and cheap fuel. Okay trip to West End in the Bahamas. Haven't seen sin e the Hurricane

I am down near Boca and the prices are high but it's warmer.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible