Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Nicest classic design Hatteras I have ever seen

it is the same boat (sistership) that Eric just sold that had a 750K ask, not sure he will even see 250 from his 1.5 refit ...........Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    This engine room isn't even in the same league as RACs... he did a lot of work and it shows. This one is just alright, nothing special.Folks should understand that redecorating a boat may please them, but it seldom translates into increased value at sale time. I think this boat is overpriced. Hard to imagine anyone would pony up a BBB for it, esp with DD engines as it has.
    Once again I thank you for your generous comments. The more I do, the more I see needs doing. It wouldn’t get done if I didn’t like doing it. Still, it’s nice when one’s efforts are recognized.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I guess $1.5M for a refit doesn't go as far as is used to. Who are these people who spend more on a refit than the boat is worth, and then sell it at a huge loss?

Is there some sort of magic trick where taxes are concerned to do this?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Randy, it's called making a small fortune. You start with a big one, and then buy an old Hatteras MY and refurb it from stem to stern, top to bottom. And after that, your large fortune has become a small one.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Once again I thank you for your generous comments. The more I do, the more I see needs doing. It wouldn’t get done if I didn’t like doing it. Still, it’s nice when one’s efforts are recognized.
    No more than is due. You obviously busted your ass in there for a long time to get it to look like that. I can't speak for others, but I am envious. My engine room looks okay, but nothing like yours.

Randy, it's called making a small fortune. You start with a big one, and then buy an old Hatteras MY and refurb it from stem to stern, top to bottom. And after that, your large fortune has become a small one.
    Been there, done that, but not on purpose! LOL
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    it is the same boat (sistership) that Eric just sold that had a 750K ask, not sure he will even see 250 from his 1.5 refit ...........Pat
    For my curiosity, what do you guys think this Hatteras year/model (1998 - 70 feet) would sell for if in excellent but not upgraded like this ? In other words, nice but mostly original interior and not insanely nice like this one is (except for engine room) ...assume perhaps 1500 original engine hours and good oil samples, etc.

I say "insanely nice" as the interior is jaw drop nice....not just the bulkheads/furniture/carpet, etc but even the little details like the thermostats.... and the helm electronics are spectacular. Except for the engine room, the interior overall is more impressive than a brand new Hatteras of this size, plus the exterior paint is as new.
    Last edited by Milacron; 05-10-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Hard to tell. There are 4 on YE including this one. Prices all over, one is listed at 1.4

The DDs are the problem compared to the 74 with the 1350hp cats. That s a lot more
    Power and reliability. There is a 1998 74 which spent most of its life in the great lakes for less money
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That would be the one to buy, not this one. FW boating, not crusty like some of ours, and a long layup in the wintertime, maybe even indoors. That would be the one. The cleanest yachts I've ever seen have been from the GL district.

That would be the one to buy, not this one. FW boating, not crusty like some of ours, and a long layup in the wintertime, maybe even indoors. That would be the one. The cleanest yachts I've ever seen have been from the GL district.
    Often times, true. Other times, not so much. You might be surprised how many of the 20+ year old Great Lakes boats have come from salt water. No doubt freshwater is easier on boats, but it also means you can slack on maintenance and get away with it. It's real easy to put stuff off when you get four months a year of use and have the mindset that it can wait until next year.

Some of the nicest boats I have seen are the ones that spend the summers north and go south every winter. They get used like they are supposed to and have to be maintained.