Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hatteras/Sams Black Window Trim Rubber

Hmm, too bad. Would love to know the exact name.

What is the name of the outfit in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    This is better than the rubber stuff which sooner or later always leaks. What product was used here?
    We spent over $10K for all new PH windows last year. The yard said they were using “factory” seals, but they were gray, not black. On the trip home from the yard we had 30 knots on the nose and a tight 4’ Head sea. It was like a fire hose spraying the front of the PH, and it was like Niagara Falls INSIDE the PH. Keep in mind, this was the trip back from the yard. I should have turned around and headed the 50 miles back to the yard but the weather was deteriorating. Within a year the seals were badly dry rotted, and one of the new windshields was cracked (suspect the boat detail crew scampering down to the foredeck from the fly bridge, but not provable).

So, recently we had the cracked window replaced, and all of the other windows rebedded and resealed with the black urethane. For the first time the PH is dry as a bone even in torrential S. FL downpours. After all this, I would never attempt regular rubber seals, but just my 2 cents.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

4. Re: Hatteras/Sams Black Window Trim Rubber

The guys name was Mike . Here is the company name:

Quality Glass
    7801 Aurora Avenue North
    Seattle, WA 98103
    206-523-3655

I checked the invoice and there wasn't any listing of materials used. He gave us a 3 year guarantee though it seems "on leakage and workmanship".

5. Re: Hatteras/Sams Black Window Trim Rubber

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post

So, recently we had the cracked window replaced, and all of the other windows rebedded and resealed with the black urethane. For the first time the PH is dry as a bone even in torrential S. FL downpours. After all this, I would never attempt regular rubber seals, but just my 2 cents.
    I am with you 100%. I have been out in some weather with these new seals and they are dialed. Its super labor intensive, but they seal perfectly. If you look around almost all boats are using it from the factory nowadays. It's just the right way to seal them up.

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I am with you 100%. I have been out in some weather with these new seals and they are dialed. Its super labor intensive, but they seal perfectly. If you look around almost all boats are using it from the factory nowadays. It's just the right way to seal them up.
    I see no difference as far as sealing. Done right, there is sealant under the rubber seals anyway. Its just like what you see in the above photos except that there is a rubber seal over top of the caulk.

The difference is that with just the urethane, there is no seal to dry up and look crappy.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI