Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

insurance quote HELP

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1982 61' Hatteras cockpit motor yacht and checked with my insurance guy in Florida for a quote. I am going to keep the boat in St Maarten year round, and have a very good resume of vessel ownership experience and no claims ever. I have owned a string of larger, newer boats over the years and worked in the marine business for over a decade and have run everything up to 100'. Quote for $250,000 value was around $10,000. I am wondering what you guys are doing for insurance and what you are paying for similar age and value of vessel.
    Big shock as I thought it would come in around $4k - $5k a year. It also seems that since Irma there are very few companies who are writing policies on older boat in the Bahamas and Caribbean.
    What to do, what to do?????

Re: insurance quote HELP

I use Atlas out of Cocoa Beach FL for my 65c. I started with my 41c, then 45c and now 65c so my experience did not require a captains license. They did jump this last renewal, but I am full time Florida at about 4500 dollars per year.

Hope this helps,

Have a great weekend,
    Tim

That sounds about right. I am paying $3800/year for 88K in coverage. you are triple that in value. Mine is a 55 Hatteras. I shopped multiple companies and my agent did too. Only found two that would cover me. I have a captain license and experience so I think being in a hurricane zone was the issue for me. The coverage on my catamaran on a trailer is $2k per year for 50K but that includes charter coverage. If you do the math though that would be 10K for 250K

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    That sounds about right. I am paying $3800/year for 88K in coverage. you are triple that in value. Mine is a 55 Hatteras. I shopped multiple companies and my agent did too. Only found two that would cover me. I have a captain license and experience so I think being in a hurricane zone was the issue for me. The coverage on my catamaran on a trailer is $2k per year for 50K but that includes charter coverage. If you do the math though that would be 10K for 250K
    $2,167 on double the value with no FL coverage during hurricane season. No increase for 2018/19.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I use Jack Martin & Assoc. Just got a quote for $7100 on agreed value of $330k from GEICO. Home port is Tampa. No claims in over 20 years.

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 with 8 foot extension)
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    $2,167 on double the value with no FL coverage during hurricane season. No increase for 2018/19.
    who you with. im moving

is no FL coverage mean you are not covered in Florida?