Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Globe vs Jabsco Impellers

Has anyone an opinion on Globe impellers vs Jabsco impellers? Better. worse, indifferent, equal?? Thanks.

Re: Globe vs Jabsco Impellers

When I bought my boat I put in a set of Globe impellers (1997).
    I started getting nervous in 2002, but temps were right, water flow was right, etc. Couldn't stand it any longer in 2003. Pulled the Globe impellers out.

They looked just like the day I put them in. In fact, If I hadn't been Careful to keep the new set of Globes separate from the Old ones, I probably would have mistakenly put the Old ones back.

Oh, approx 500 hrs on each engine. (8V71TI's)

OldHatt45
    PS: The second set works as good (so far) as the first.

I have never had a problem with Globe-Barco impellers. Others claim to. I think I have one of each right now- Globe and Sherwood. I can't tell the difference.

I put a set of the Globe blue impellers in my rig last summer. The port one failed in about 16 hours, the bushing separated from the impeller. The satrboard one I replaced 2 hours later, it was tore up. Back to the sherwoods, till something better comes along.
    JW

I would have taken both of those impellers back to where I got them from or sent them both back to the manufacture. They should never come apart like that.

BILL

I meant to send them back, but my dog liked more than I did and they made great chewtoys. I am also a memeber on the Donzi Board and some memebers there had the same problems with the globes. I think I am going to try a set of impellers from Tony Athens of Seaboard marine, they are a little less expensive than the sherwoods and They do not fall apart like the sherwoods.
    JW

Stay away from Globes. They'll bite you eventually.

Ted

8. Re: Globe vs Jabsco Impellers

Some years ago, may 10 or 15, BARCO impellers had a really bad reputation here in the northeast..many failures of nearly new impellers. My recollection is they were blue in color but I did not use them so can't be sure. I have sterred clear of them ever since.
    I've used Jabsco impellers for over thirty years and never had a problem. As I recently posted, I usually change impellers at about 500 hours engine run time on 8V71TI's.

I had a friend her in Ct who had a marine store and he tried to sell the Barco line. A lot of us used them for oil and fuel transfer pumps, etc but not for the engines and gensets. They proved out ok with the small applications but definitely seemed to have problems in the larger applications.

Capt K