Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

A/C Compressor Replacement.

Hello. My 16,000BTU compressor needs to be replaced. Unit is R22.

It seems everyone has gone to 410a.

A company in Stuart Florida called Ocean Breeze has a compressor for $1,800 that will work with 422B (a R22 substitute). Does anyone have any experience with these units? I'm up for all suggestions...
    Thank you in advance.
    - TJ
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Re: A/C Compressor Replacement.

I don't have an answer for you, but how do you know the unit needs to be replaced?

That size unit , I would replace with self contained . You can replace the whole thing for less $$ and have better, more reliable, more efficient system when you're done........Pat

Are you talking about only the compressor or the entire condensing unit (compressor, coil, etc...)

Assuming you re talking about the entie engine room mounted condensor, ocean breeze has pretty good stuff. The pevious owner of my boat had replaced the 4 cruisairs around 1999/2000. Over the years i ve replaced two or three of the compressor but no worst than modern cruisairs i ve had on boats i run. I took them out last uear whe i redid the whole system with Flagship chillers.

Some of the ocean breeze do not have reverse cycle, make sure yours does if you need that
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thank you. Yes I noticed that, I have to specify if I want reverse cycle. Not standard.

Just need to replace the engine room unit. I have separate evaporators in each state room. Can't use a combo unit. Does anyone else have any reviews of Ocean Breeze or any other suggestions?
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

I replaced one of mine 2 years ago with an ocean breeze 16000 unit and have no complaints Also on the r422

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

I'm no expert, but can you change the refrigerant without changing the expansion valves in the evaporator?