Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip advice

Trip advice

Hi all,

OK, we are FINALLY getting ready to make the long journey home with the new to us 58MY that I swear anyone & everyone who did work on it decided to make a career out of it. She was a dock queen for at least a couple of decades, but I think we finally have her in shape for the long trip back. It's located just south of Savannah, Ga. & we're headed all the way back to Dubuque, Ia. with it first part of May. We're hoping to have enough water in Okeechobee to make it across there, then over to Mobile & up the Tenn-Tom & so on.

I would appreciate any advice or any local knowledge anyone has for the trip back. Running outside vs inside, anchorages, inlets to avoid, good/bad places to buy fuel, marinas to stop at or avoid, etc. We would also like to meet any fellow HOF members along the way if we could. I've been on the forums for a few years now, & I feel like I know some of you already after reading your posts.

Randy, I'd love to have you with us for the journey, but unfortunately I spent my entire budget & then some getting her ready for the trip. That doesn't mean I don't want to meet up with you if it's possible! Hope to meet you as well Scott as we pass by.

Any & all advice is welcome!

Thanks everyone,

Randy

Re: Trip advice

Why cut through the Okeechobee? You miss one of the great cruising experiences in the US by doing that. Yuck!
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I have to agree with the chance to cruise the keys being a great opportunity.

If your cruising past cocoa beach ( like you have a choice) let's get together for a cold beverage or two.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Run her up WOT a couple minutes and at high cruise speeds soon as you can if she has been sitting a while. That should cause any issues to show up with cooling, pressures, etc. Then you can bump down to the cruise speed you desire. I find mine run ALOT cooler at 1000-1200 RPM than 1800 or so. Make sure you have plenty of extra fuel filters/racors on the boat in case there are fuel issues. I would also buy a sea tow or boat us membership for a year. Its worth the $100 to know nothing will probably happen since you have it

George, I wish we had the time to go through the keys. We're looking at a good 30 days minimum away from work as it is, so just looking to shorten the trip as much as possible. Hopefully at some point we will be in a position to winter the boat in the gulf area so we can explore those areas we will miss. We just have to draw the line somewhere.

Scott, I was hoping to be able to meet up with you, we'll have a few cold beverages with us with your name on them!. I'll definitely give you a call as we're making our way south. If you have a recommendation for a good place to dock near you that would be great.

Brian, got the gold unlimited package with Boat US right now, hopefully their coverage is good where we're going. We just got back home from the boat Monday, I spent the better part of 3 days polishing both tanks down to 2 microns & didn't plug a filter. I have 20 Racor filters on board now, with another 8 secondary fuel filters, so hopefully we won't go through all of those! Just finished a complete engine rebuild so we will be continuing to break it in. So far it has been running like a fine sewing machine, 2350 rpms WOT. Probably run 1000 - 1200 with occasional 2,000 rpm run ups to keep it cleared out.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, I've tried to prepare as well as possible, but please keep the comments coming. I'm sure there is more than a few things I've missed or not thought of.

Randy

Running inside ( the ditch) there's harbortown Merritt island is a good fuel stop and maybe a place to overnight. Theyre a bit off the ICW on the barge canal . Also whitley bay for overnight dockage juzt south of 520 on the ICW.

Running outside theres cape marina for fuel and dockage. They're in the port and easy in and out.

Either way if I'm around I can run you out to get supplies as needed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

OWW should be ok
    http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/currentLL.shtml
    But check on lock closures and maintenance. You ll probably save 3 days going across Vs the keys which aren't that nice anyway since you re not playing tourist

With a dock queen I d run inside. From south of Sav you could do St Simons, st Augustine (nice anchorage in the tolomato river), Titusville, st Lucie then across with a stop at Moore Heaven then ft Myers

How far you cut crossing big bend depends on the weather, your safety gear and how good the boat runs.

Make sure you download the latest Active Captain database in your favorite charting app for the latest on shaolkng.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Scott & Pascal, thank you, I will put that all in our book. We'll probably be taking you up on your offer Scott. I'm planning on fueling on a pretty regular basis at least for the first while to keep fuel issues at Bay & get a good handle on fuel burn. I'm hoping to have you give the old girl the once-over as I have a lot of upgrades I plan to do in the future. It would be helpful for you to know what we have and where so we can intelligently discuss our electronics needs & wants down the road. Pascal, I hope we are through the OWW long before June, as according to the LNM there is lock maintenance/closure scheduled for the east end in June. No stabilizers & no auto pilot so we're not going to be venturing too far out in the bend.

Randy

Be very mindful of the tides on GA ICW. There are many tight spots and some you wouldn’t want to try on a fallen by tide. My last trip through there was November and we did lots of plowing delivering a 4-1/2’ draft sailboat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

anchor off cumberland island and see the beach that lindbergh landed a plane just to come party nearly 100 years ago, and where Carolyn and John Kennedy were married. If your schedule is too tight for even that, perhaps spend the first week onboard and have it delivered.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750