Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Engine overheat problem solved

One of my fellow coffee shop regulars runs a small fleet of water taxis on the San Francisco Bay. He has been working on a overheating Volvo and has taken all the normal diagnostic steps including diving to inspect the through hull pick up. What he eventually found is a 1” ball valve that FEELS like it’s working properly, but the ball does not move with the handle or shaft. This valve is closed nightly and that definitely contributed to it reaching the end of its service life, but after getting to try it myself I may never know for sure if mine are really OK.
    Attached Images

2. Re: Engine overheat problem solved

That is why you should remove and throw away all ball valves on the intakes and install proper seacocks. I believe Hatteras always installed seacocks as OEM on all hulls.

Re: Engine overheat problem solved

In 1965 many of the smaller seawater intakes (generator, heads) were gate valves. After a few years all had failed. The valve stem turned but the gates had frozen and stripped the threads on the stem. There was no way to tell if the valve was shut or open until you pulled the hose off.

Now I guess I will have to see how many I replaced with ball valves!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Re: Engine overheat problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    That is why you should remove and throw away all ball valves on the intakes and install proper seacocks. I believe Hatteras always installed seacocks as OEM on all hulls.
    Thank you, I didn’t know there was a difference. So... what is the difference? Regards, Craig

5. Re: Engine overheat problem solved

Kinda sorta similar to a ball valve in that it opens and closes with a 90 degree turn of the handle. The valve is manufactured from bronze but instead of a ball, there is a machined tapered cone with said cone removable for maintenance during a yard period. There is often a grease fitting on the side of the valve body to lube the cone during use. Properly maintained, they will last longer than you or your boat.