Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shore Cord Glendinning Access

Anyone know how to access the starboard Glendenning shore cord retractor on my 74 MY. The last two feet of the cord just does not want to retract. Short of pulling out the washer dryer to look, I just cannot find access to the cord or motor inside the boat on the starboard side.

Re: Shore Cord Glendinning Access

John, there is an access panel behind the day head toilet. Behind the little storage area above the toilet. I have never had that back panel off but mine is labeled "Equipment access" and it would be in the right place. Look in the generator room and see if you can see the bottom of the "bucket" on that side. If the cord still pays out ok I would try and bring it all out on deck then retract it and make the twist in the cord goes in the right way. There is like a half a turn twist in the cord for each revolution of cord in the basket........hope this helps .........Pat

Pat - I was hoping you would see my post. The only thing I see in the generator room is the cord going up and the electrical connection. Unfortunately, the bucket is not in there. I'll open that access panel behind the head and take a look. Thanks for the good steer. I will keep you posted. John

When you say the last two feet don't retract, do you mean the motor stops or does it keep running but the cable just slips?

If the motor stops altogether it's usually the stop switch which gets triggered to early. If it slips it could be dirt on the end of the cable.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just pulled the panel. No luck. Not even a sniff of the shore cord back there. Where could they hide the cord and bucket? Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    When you say the last two feet don't retract, do you mean the motor stops or does it keep running but the cable just slips?

If the motor stops altogether it's usually the stop switch which gets triggered to early. If it slips it could be dirt on the end of the cable.
    The cable slips.

Just heard from Bruce Morrison. The bucket is behind a finished panel which needs to be removed to get to an access panel. That means cutting the upholstered panel upholstery to access the access panel. Not real happy about that.

John those upholstered panels (on my boat) are on Velcro don't cut it work it loose and pull it down....Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    John those upholstered panels (on my boat) are on Velcro don't cut it work it loose and pull it down....Pat
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Pat - for future reference, the access panel is behind the curved wall panel heading down from the pilot house to the day head.

Gotcha, my panel there is all wood /veneer not upholstered. Hope to not have to deal with it !! Wishful thinking. Good luck and let us know how it works out.......Pat