Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Voltage transformers/regultors 32v-> 12v, help educate me

Why not just set up a separate 12volt house bank to go along with the 12volt generator battery?
    Converted our 32v to 24v when we re-powered with 24v CATs, also did a complete rewire as part of the project. Have 24v start banks plus 24v house bank.
    New genset was 12v so we have a gen start battery and separate 12v house bank.
    The 12v house bank really comes in handy, mostly for electronics, but some other stuff too.
    We actually have 12v and 24v cockpit outlets for our electric dredge/kite/deep drop reels.
    Not a big fan of voltage converters.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Why not just set up a separate 12volt house bank to go along with the 12volt generator battery?
    Converted our 32v to 24v when we re-powered with 24v CATs, also did a complete rewire as part of the project. Have 24v start banks plus 24v house bank.
    The 12v house bank really comes in handy, mostly for electronics, but some other stuff too.
    We actually have 12v and 24v cockpit outlets for our electric dredge/kite/deep drop reels.
    This is what I would do also. Check the gauge of the line running to the engine room and if heavy enough you may be able to use it. The amperage will almost triple that of the 32 volt vs 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Converters have their place. I have a customer with 24 volt engines BUT the electronics for them is 12 volt. We used an isolated 24 to 12 volt converter so he has 12 volts no matter where in the input window the 24 volt feed is. That saves the electronics from running higher or lower voltages.

As the genny battery is a necessity id add a second battery to run the 12 volt bank and have it isolated.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Emails finally returned from the mfg, and voltage regulator for this is definitely a no-go. He said they would be happy to manufacture me a unit that would handle the specs but that I'd have to order a quantity.

Oh well, will just return the unit when I get it. Guess I'll be buying new batteries for the windlass and a better battery (or two) for the generator.

Sears was always my go-to for AGM batteries, now that that's out of the picture anyone else have suggestions for picking up decent batteries at a good price? I'm a fan of the AGM group 31's personally.

I have a 24V windlass, Maxwell 2200, powered be two Group 31 less acid batteries, charged by a 10 amp Guest charger.
    Installed 11 years ago.

The set up recovers a 110 pound anchor and 3/8" chain, 225 ' so we never see the line.

Works great and we anchor a lot. The rest of the boat is 12 volt, formally 32volt.

Get new batteries for the windlass, it's the practical thing to do.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY