Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1st Bluewater Trip in the Books!!

My god what an absolute TANK this boat is!!!

With our weather window closing quickly and rough seas predicted we pulled away from the dock early friday morning. Made a little bait in the inlet then turned south for a 30 mile ride to a water break near the nipple. Seas were 2-4' and choppy/nasty. The hatt cut right through them with no problem. We trolled and picked up a few wahoo and a mahi, overnighted at the spur (Desoto Canyon) where the action was slow but seas were like glass. We actually had a baby swordfish swim through the underwater lights.

Picked up a few blackfin tuna overnight and at 2am the seas started picking up. We abandoned the drift and turned the boat with the waves at idle speed, set the auto pilot and rode out the night. (with someone on watch of course)

At sunrise seas were solid 4' with some 6' mixed in. By 10am seas were 6-8' with an occasional 10' mixed in. The waves were stacked up tight with about a 6 sec period.

We trolled our way in most of the way going with a quartering sea and occasionally turned into the sea to check out a fad...etc.

At about 15 miles out we hit our last spot, pulled in the lines and planed out for the rest of the ride. Seas were back down to 4-6' at this point.

I cannot get over how well the boat handled all of this. It literally blows my mind... In our old ocean it would have been a non-stop workout for the captain just keeping the boat straight, but the hat tracked true and the auto pilot was able to handle the duty in all but the nastyness of the 8-10'ers.

Had a couple of long-time fishermen onboard who were blown away that we were still able to fish in this. Had a couple of saltwater greenhorns onboard whose eyes got big as saucers at some of the waves we were seeing. It did get rocky/rolly at times, but she rolled with predictable motion, not snappy/jerky.

I've owned multiple sized boats over the years, and I've had my fair share of pucker factors in almost all of them. I can honestly say even though we were in the roughest seas I've ever been in, I never even got the least bit of pucker. Never did we bang, or shudder. Never did I ever feel like we were even close to being swamped, heck we only took spray over the bow a few times. In the words of Pascoe, she stepped on the waves with little more effort than stepping on a column of ants!

Re: 1st Bluewater Trip in the Books!!

Entire flock of birds overnighted with us. Exhausted they were landing everywhere, some even slept rolling around on the floor.

Nice! Thanks for sharing!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

What Randy said. ^^^^
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Ditto. Looks like a great trip.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL