Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Windlass, which formula?

Hi,

I am torn between how two sources of how to size your windlass are so different.

On one side windlass maximum pull size strength calculations of 3-4 times the total weight of the anchor and rode, and the other side is the charts that the manufacturers create.

Here is the discrepancy: if i go by the books (including the westmarine website) which recommend to size the windlass to be 3 to 4 times the weight of the anchor, chain and rope all together. So having a 45 lb CQR with 60 ft 3/8 chain (60*1.4=84 lb) plus 300 ft rope (50lb)= 179 lb X 3- 4= 500 to 800 lb maximun pull, so getting a 1000lb should do it!!!

However If you look at the windlass manufacturers websites, they recommend pullig windlass rating of over 2300lb for my 53 boat size.

Why there is a huge discrepancy between doing the calculations and what the manufacturers recommend?

With the proper use of the windlass, the weight of the boat including the wind factor has nothing to do with how strong the windlass is, because the chain or the rope would be tied to the cleat as the boat is anchored and the windlass Job is only to bring the total weight of the anchor, chain and rope up back to the boat. Freeing the anchor from the ground is the job of the motors of the boat while the chain/rope are tied to a cleat with the tip of the boat above the anchor.

Help? Thanks
    Last edited by Gusshr; 04-20-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: ipad text format problem
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL