Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I nuts II

Am I nuts II

Bought the VRO packing for the 37C with 3/4" shafts, 3/8" just like my manual says. No way it will fit in the compression nut. I measure 3/16" from the shaft to the top of the thread. I suppose someone could have changed the stuffing box in the last 30 years. Am I missing something.
    Hal
    P.S. Just spoke with Ron Lamm '79 and Bruce Morrison at Hatteras Yachts (this is why you buy an old Hatteras) Ron agreed all my prints ect. say 3/8" but Bruce recalled using 1/4" flax they flattened out with a hammer on the older boats. I'll measure again it.
    Hal
    Last edited by hcalmar; 04-04-2006 at 04:52 PM.
    Hal
    Stonington,CT
    "ARETE" 37C
    Hull #HATBF3800579
    Vessel #US608410

Re: Am I nuts II

Hi Hal,

I checked my records. The prints in the manual on our 37 also show the packing to be 3/8 inch. The receipt for my yard shows the shafts were repacked with 1/4" packing when I had the work done shortly after I purchased the boat. So much for prints. Now I am going to check the bearing shown on the print in the short strut where the shaft exits the hull.

How is the rest of the work coming along?

Nick

Nick,
    Like everbody I'm sure I have 10 projects going and none completed. New holding tank and hoses, cutlass bearings, hull anode, bottom paint, stuffing box packing, engine work wating for the holding tank to go in and so on, and I may be starting a new job after 20 years. I am enjoying it but a little stressed. When its floating and I'm having a scotch I'll feel better.
    Hal
    Hal
    Stonington,CT
    "ARETE" 37C
    Hull #HATBF3800579
    Vessel #US608410

The list is always there next year!
    I keep the "A" list the "B" the "C" and the "D" list safety/floating A to cosmetics D

Yes the scotch will make you feel better-"on the rocks?"

Nick

Nick,
    Like everbody I'm sure I have 10 projects going and none completed. New holding tank and hoses, cutlass bearings, hull anode, bottom paint, stuffing box packing, engine work wating for the holding tank to go in and so on, and I may be starting a new job after 20 years. I am enjoying it but a little stressed. When its floating and I'm having a scotch I'll feel better.
    Hal
    Boy do I know how you feel but I will start with a Beer or Two then go to Vodka
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

sounds good to me. My project is stressing me out as we cant use the boat. no end in site as of yet. still trying to get paint bids.