Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

head vacuum pump cycleing

I have a vacuum pump servicing the two forward heads on an 1980 61' Hat cpmy. Still learning the systems after purchasing the boat just over 2 weeks ago. Within the last 2 days the diaphram vacuum pump has started to cycle about 8 or 10 pumps every 3 minutes. I have tightened all the double clamps, hoses appear in good shape an show no visible leaks. I have listened for air leaks at both heads and below deck with out an obvious leak. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Re: head vacuum pump cycleing

Does water stay in the bowl? If not the problem is with the ball seal, usually some debris preventing a good seal

If water stays in the bowl, then you next suspect will be one of the duckbills in the pumo. Two on the inlet, two on the outlet. They re a maintenance item and usually need to be replaced every 5 to 6 years. Easy job if you have good access. Loosen up the clamps, unscrew the fittings and replace the duckbills. I usually put liquid soap on the DB flanges to prevent them from deforming and dont overtighten

I dont like have one pump for two heads. You loose redundancy and it makes troubleshooting harder. When checking for leaks, there will be an extra DB in line between the pump and each vac tank
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The plunger in the pump may be worn out. Order a rebuild kit and some scale remover. The rebuild kit is $220.

Pull the pump and take it apart. Soak the body in descaler until clean. Rinse and reassemble using new parts.

Once you get over the "yuck" factor, it really not a tough project.

The plunger can fail and leak when it does it spurts leaks black water... very noticeable. I v never seen one causign a vac leak as the pump body is pressurized on the down stroke
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If there are no vacuum leaks at the fittings, as Pascal said, the first suspect is the seal between the ball and the bowl so check if the bowl is retaining water.
    Next would be the duck bills. Much farther down the likely hood scale are the vacuum switch on the tank and the pump bellows. The manual is available online, and Environmental Marine in Ft Lauderdale is an excellent source for advice and parts.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Thanks to all your suggestions and I will go to work and get it done. Thanks again, PJ61

Replaced the 4 duck bill valves today and seemed to resolve the cycleing issue. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and suggestions. PJ61

Quote Originally Posted by PJ61 View Post
    Replaced the 4 duck bill valves today and seemed to resolve the cycleing issue. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and suggestions. PJ61
    Sorry I was late to the conversation. Fixed mine a few months back with your same solution. If the duck bill valves are the least bit deformed or dry/hard they will not hold a vacuum.

I also rebuilt both of my heads while I was at it. The way I looked at it, if one set of rubber in a system is bad, the others aren't far behind. Would rather deal with the heads at the dock rather than out on a trip! The seal kits for the heads were < $100/ea