Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: CCTV with no wifi

As expected, my Y.C. crapped out on their fix for me, at least for the moment. So, I called SuperCircuits, from whom I have bought a ton of CCTV stuff, and they sold me a p2p DVR with a 1 gb hard drive and four channel bnc inputs using external management software for a whopping $175. I am told that all I need to do is to connect it to my router or wap and I am good to go. If it's true, I no longer need any cooperation via port forwarding from my Y.C. But, in all candor, it sounds too good to be true.

2. Re: CCTV with no wifi

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    As expected, my Y.C. crapped out on their fix for me, at least for the moment. So, I called SuperCircuits, from whom I have bought a ton of CCTV stuff, and they sold me a p2p DVR with a 1 gb hard drive and four channel bnc inputs using external management software for a whopping $175. I am told that all I need to do is to connect it to my router or wap and I am good to go. If it's true, I no longer need any cooperation via port forwarding from my Y.C. But, in all candor, it sounds too good to be true.
    Nope its super common nowadays and will get you running.

Thank you all again for the great help. Is configuring it easy as well?

Told my Y.C. to take a hike after they started crying about cyber security issues and port forwarding. Sure hope the DVR solution works or else I will need to go the much more costly route of static IP SIM card/Cradlepoint. I should know by the end of the week whether it works. I've asked the IT folks in my offer to configure it and even bough a CCTV camera just for testing purposes as my others are permanently mounted on the boat.

Thanks to all the help received here, I installed my DVR today at my Y.C. and it worked perfectly to permit remote access to my cameras. The $99 I spent sure beat the heck out of the $1,200 the Y.C's IT vendor wanted to charge. I still need some more help. The seven year old Netgear wireless bridge I am using to connect to the DVR barely picks up the Y.C.'s feeble wifi signal. Can anyone recommend a new wireless bridge or game adapater that might suck in the signal better for hard wiring to my DVR? Thanks.

6. Re: CCTV with no wifi

Awesome. Glad it worked out.

W/R/T wifi, the best thing you can do is put a big dog shakesphere antenna up top and get a modern router that supports b/g/n + . There were some good recommendations on here for a router that also can do cell in the 700$ range which seems like a no brainer. Coupling that with good antennas would be the way to go if its in your budget.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 05-03-2018 at 10:31 PM.

I just installed a wave wifi on a customers boat and was able to log onto restaurants wifi down town
    Great extender for use around town in the rivers. It gets a mile or more range.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The Y.C. says it is not yet finished with its upgrade. I will hold off on buying a better bridge until I see what the reception is like. I also set up an Optimum wifi account. I do receive Optimum wifi near the boat but not sure whether the speeds might be better or worse than the Y.C.

MV Caprice - just sent you a pm.