Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CCTV with no wifi

Well, my Y.C. has decided to mess with its wifi network. I am not an IT guy. But, my CCTV cameras on the boat were connected to the Y.C wifi system with some port forwarding allowed on the Y.C's router so that I could monitor them over the internet. That ship may have sailed even though I am told the Y.C. only installed new antennas not a new router. I do not want to install new cameras. Short of an AIRCARD with a static IP address, what's the best way to get me back up and remotely viewing? I do get a cellular signal on the boat but know nothing about mobile hot spots. If I have to, I will buy a new Cradlepoint that has a SIM card but am not looking to make this a major project. As always, thanks for the help and hopefully Pascal will lead the way.

Re: CCTV with no wifi

Well i ve never messed with remote viewing as i ve never needed it.

Generally speaking i ve given up on using wifi, even with the professional grade wave booster as very places have reliable wifi service. Now that data plans have become unlimited or near unlimited again, its not just worth it.

18 months ago I installed a Craddleloint IBR 1150 modemon the lazzara 84 i run hooked up to a high end Netgear tri band router. Signal is excellent thru out the boat and the Craddlepoint is very reliable. It has two SIM slots, i use ATT here and BTC in the bahamas. I just disable one or the other as we cross back n worth.

Both are hooked up to a battery back up so they always stay up. If you want a good reliaboe connection to the boat, or while cruising this is the way to go. Over the years i had tried other modems and routers but nothing came close to that one.

I also have 4 Axis IP cameras hooked to a basic PC with a standard monitor at the helm in the skylounge. I know the axis software allows for remote monitorig but i havent tried it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: CCTV with no wifi

You need to find a brand that has cloud monitoring. Those maintain a connection out so your don’t have to port forward. I have a foscam that does this. Another option is to use a PC system and team viewer which works the same way.

Thank you both. I was told, but do not understand, that a static IP is no longer needed because the Cradlepoint has DNS -- whatever that is. Also, for some odd reason, I do not mind the outlay for hardware costs but am not looking to pay $100 a month for the privilege of viewing my own boat remotely. I am not concerned about having internet underway or in remote locations, I guess. What would I need to buy for a Cradlepoint to make sure I could view it remotely? I was told years ago that mobile to mobile viewing is the issue. Does the SIM card have to be a dedicated Static IP? I wrestled with ATT for months to get a static IP on the air card I use on my Cradlepoint down south. It works great but again, about $100 per month for the aircard.

Maybe I misread it but if the marina wifi is available for you and there's a login and password why not go back to using it. If they changed out access points it's just a matter of re establishing a link.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

To monitor my cameras remotely, as I understand it, the Y.C. needs to open ports on its server for me. At least, that is what I am told. I am hoping that their IT guy can reconfigure my Axis server to access open ports on their new system.

That's the route I'd take. If they can't then look towards more involved solutions. Adding an air card seems a bit excessive at this time.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

8. Re: CCTV with no wifi

DNS just resolves a name to an ip address. Dynamic dns allows you to have a dynamically assigned with name resumption. You still need port forwarding and your router or client device would need to have dynamic dns support. The foscam and teamviewer apps work without any of the client side stuff because they in simple terms use tcp keep alive sessions.

9. Re: CCTV with no wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Maybe I misread it but if the marina wifi is available for you and there's a login and password why not go back to using it. If they changed out access points it's just a matter of re establishing a link.
    Yep this is what I would recommend as well. I have a dual interface router for cell and WiFi which sort of makes the port forwarding solution a no go for me so I use application later alternatives. A good example of this type of solution is a nest thermostat. Attach to your local WiFi and your thermostat is available anywhere with the best app. You need that setup and then you don’t need to worry about NAT port forwarding etc.

Just so I understand, if the WAP/bridge or whatever receiver I have can connect to the Y.C's password protected general wifi system for all boats, then I should be able to monitor those cameras from my IPhone no matter where I am? If this is so, I would not need the AIRCARD down South because the marina there has a wifi for all boats, as well, correct? Not challenging the suggestion , just trying to understand it.