Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: CCTV with no wifi

I'm adding a Wi-Fi booster to a customers boat and it will tie in to the marina wifi. There's no need for an external system if the marina wifi is accesable.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

As predicted, the Y.C. has decided not to keep any ports open for me. However, they say they are looking for a web based solution to replace my Axis server. Not sure what that means or at whose expense but if I could click a link and not have to pay a monthly fee, that sounds good to me. Anybody have an idea of what a web based solution replacing my Axis server might mean?

3. Re: CCTV with no wifi

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    As predicted, the Y.C. has decided not to keep any ports open for me. However, they say they are looking for a web based solution to replace my Axis server. Not sure what that means or at whose expense but if I could click a link and not have to pay a monthly fee, that sounds good to me. Anybody have an idea of what a web based solution replacing my Axis server might mean?
    Can you post the brand / model of your cctv system? I'll take a look. I am considering writing a service to help folks in our situation.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 04-23-2018 at 06:16 PM.

I installed a WirieAP on my boat last year and couldn't be happier. It sucks every available bit of Wi-fi where ever i go. I can even get my home network from the yacht club 4 miles away

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

5. Re: CCTV with no wifi

I have some friends who have had good luck with the Ghost stuff, but its not cheap. There are a lot of high dollar setups out there, but not a lot of cheap ones it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    Can you post the brand / model of your cctv system? I'll take a look. I am considering writing a service to help folks in our situation.
    I believe it is a 240Q.

Axis makes great stuff. they only need to have access to the internet. Is that the only issue your having with the yacht club?

Add a wifi booster like my customer and use the downtown cable company access points.\
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

8. Re: CCTV with no wifi

JLR,

You have 4 options from what I can see from Axis Docs...

1) Get a static IP from marina/YC or a dsl/cable provider and port forward. I am not aware of any cell providers which offer this functionality so this would really only work at your home port. Sounds like this is the model you can not longer use and are moving away from.

2) Drop a PC on the boat connect it to the network set it to never sleep and use team viewer to remote access. This works anywhere you have internet on the boat.

3) Buy another CCTV DVR that has "P2P" or "Cloud" functionality which enables you to remotely view it without port forwarding and inbound static IP's. Like option 2 this would enable your cameras to work anywhere you have connectivity.

4) Switch to IP or cameras which have individual cloud. This is sort of the off the deep end option as I'm sure you have nice marine grade cameras and wiring already installed.

I have a similar DVR and go with option 2 for 4 of my 5 cameras. The fifth works with cloud directly.

If I went with option two, I assume a laptop would work as well? Also, although it would loose power momentarily when switching over from shore power to genset and back, would it need to be manually re-booted each time to have it continue to lock on to the wifi at the Y.C.? As to option 3, I am not using a DVR now. By adding that type of DVR to the existing axis, would that work or does that eliminate the need for the axis?

Most PC will not restart after power is lost and will need auto login to restart. A laptop will work as it will run on battery while power is transferred. Or you can use a PC with a battery back up. That what I use as well as on most satellite receivers as nowadays they take forever to restart.

But whether a PC or laptop you need to disable windows auto update otherwise they will restart on their own and hang at the login screen. Reconnecting to the wifi is usually automatic.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat