Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Cruising on the head

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Or perhaps the scoops are missing.
    This was my first thought. I plan to run out to blue water in the near future with my dive gear and will check. I will also check their direction. Hopefully get some go pro footage

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    Heads that lose prime underway probably have the external strainers mounted backwards. They should face forward.
    When you say face forward do you mean the mouth or opening of scoop should face toward the bow, forcing water in? I read on the survey that the sea strainers on both heads with issues were replaced with new. The bow toilet was not replaced however I did not try it underway. Am anxious to try it underway and if it works compare the scoop on it to the others.

Update to this thread. Hauled out last week and there are no scoops on my toilets. Went to about 5 places down here and couldn't find any to fit. My thru hulls are small maybe 3/4" but there are bolt heads that stick out preventing the smaller scoops from fitting flush. Short of removing all the bolts and countersinking I would need a scoop for 2" thru hulls. I will order them and deal with on the next haul out. I didn't have time to wait for them to be ordered. The yard was busy and I needed to get her back in as well.

Just get rid of the 60s vintage stuff and put new fresh water heads. Atlantes, bacuflush, Headhunter. Anything will be better
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Just get rid of the 60s vintage stuff and put new fresh water heads. Atlantes, bacuflush, Headhunter. Anything will be better
    I dont think I will ever go to freshwater flush. We stay out several days at a time and I dont need a water maker as the only water we use is for showers or dishes. I have a friend who has a 60 with freshwater toilets and we run out all the time. When his water maker is working thats fine but I have been when it quit and we had no toilets. I have also been when his pump quit and we had no toilets. At least with the galley maids if one pump quits the other two toilets work.

You hear a lot of negatives on this site re Galley Maid heads. I understand there are folks with a lot more years' experience with them than me. And, I too experienced issues with them when I bought Aslan four years ago. But I've rebuilt them (3) once and have had no issues subsequently. It doesn't hurt that RAZ Marine gives great service on parts and is free with their advice. What issues I have had were the result of poor maintenance, ignorance really, by the PO(s). Thanks to a referral by Rusty (Seven) I have a spare 32 volt head pump ready to go. I thought I needed it when a saltwater leak ate away the end cap on a motor. My local electrical shop and I have something in common; we love the challenge of a fix over replacement. This almost junked motor has run the master head for almost two years since it was rebuilt--for peanuts.

IMG_8090.jpg

But, you can bet your bottom dollar on this: If my GMs gave me problems, they'd be out of there PDQ because that ain't me in the picture; I don't bend like that anymore.

IMG_6230.jpg

Damn bow thruster really complicates things up forward.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I rebuilt one of mine that was inoperable getting the parts from RAZ. I also have a spare pump on the way. Luckily I dont have the bow thruster and can actually stand or kneel in the space. My biggest challenge on these has been getting old hoses to break free.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I rebuilt one of mine that was inoperable getting the parts from RAZ. I also have a spare pump on the way. Luckily I dont have the bow thruster and can actually stand or kneel in the space. My biggest challenge on these has been getting old hoses to break free.
    Heat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I dont think I will ever go to freshwater flush. We stay out several days at a time and I dont need a water maker as the only water we use is for showers or dishes. I have a friend who has a 60 with freshwater toilets and we run out all the time. When his water maker is working thats fine but I have been when it quit and we had no toilets. I have also been when his pump quit and we had no toilets. At least with the galley maids if one pump quits the other two toilets work.
    I can’t imagine a boat without two water pumps, AC and DC
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Heat.
    I tried that to no avail. I finally left the suction casing of the pump on the hose and pulled the pump. Rebuilt it and just put those bolts back in sitting in place