Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Moved to home port

Made the first long voyage on the Southern Drawl on Monday & Tuesday. Went from the Tchefuncte River on the North Shore of Lake Ponchatrain (where I bought her) to Port Fourchon, our home port. Since my radar still isn't working along with the river being high making the locks a challenge we decided to break into two days and make the 200 mile journey. First day we went into the Lake then through the Rigolets and 3 draw bridges. Made it into the MS sound and Chandeleur Sound navigating to Baptiste Collette out of Venice. Spent the night at the Cypress Cove Marina in Venice then made our way down the Mississippi to the Gulf through Southwest Pass. Current in the river was so swift we were making 20 knots at 1800 RPM but 16 knots everywhere else. Made it to the pass at Fourchon around noon on Tuesday. The boat ran well and the only mechanical issue we had was the port engine didnt won't to shut off at the dock when we arrived. I manually moved the solenoid and will save that project for another day. Here are some pics

IMG_2071.jpg
    Sitting at Cypress Cove Marina in Venice. Current was tough getting in here and coming out
    IMG_2079.jpg
    A sailboat with alot of passengers getting towed up river in Southwest Pass. The rope was fairly slack so we are thinking the auxiliary engine couldn't handle the current and the tug was just to assist
    IMG_2073.jpg
    Sitting in our new spot. The previous tenant went with me and informed me the hose from the fuel dock will reach my boat. That will be nice being able to fuel without moving boat. Looking forward to being back home with a new to me Hatteras

Re: Moved to home port

Good luck with your new boat. Those cruising transition runs are indeed a blast.

Enjoy stay safe,
    Tim

Brian, I believe I saw you coming into flotation canal. I work for HOS and currently in back of slip A. I'm the Captain of the HOS Mystique and a fellow Hatteras owner myself. Congrats on your new to you purchase of a Hatteras and glad to see your transit to Port Fourchon went well. The current in Tiger Pass/Miss. river aka "The Jump" at Venice can be very testing even to the most skilled! I've witnessed several larger vessels lose it there swapping paint along other vessels docked. If your cruising thru flotation, putt into slip A and say Hello! Or I might have to take our rescue boat for a spin your way!
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

Hey James we came in on Tuesday. I am parked down at Tomney's place almost next to the Harbor Patrol boat lift. Almost right under the big cell tower. I plan on coming down this weekend if you are around. I have a skiff down there and we are planning on trying some trout. We didnt do Tiger Pass as we heard it silted in so went out SW pass and cut across north of the LOOP. Getting in Cypress Cove marina was a challenge. The cut is about 30 ft wide and the current so swift I was idling at 9.5 knots. Had to pass it up and approach into the current. I have been fishing out of Fourchon for several years but the Hatteras is a step up for me from my catamaran

I hear you about 'Idle @ 9.5kn' in that current. Will have to get together. Was going to take our rescue boat today but, this weather has put a stop to that! I go home this Wednesday for my off time of 28 days. Will get together sometime!
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

Sounds good. Let me know when you are back down there and I will come by

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Sounds good. Let me know when you are back down there and I will come by
    Actually weather cleared yesterday afternoon and went by there. She looks nestled in between the pilings there. Your going to have a great time offshore w/ her this year and to coming years! I'll be in touch when I get back down.

Take care
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.