Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hammerhead exhaust piping

Looking for an idea on the cost to replace them on 8V71ti's in a 1983 Hatt 53MY. Survey showed minor seepage and want get a quote and what the turnaround time is. Does anyone know of a shop semi local to LBI,Nj ? Read here about the glass vs SS debate and wondered if anyone has recently had this done.

Re: Hammerhead exhaust piping

The exhaust tubing from the surge tube to the transom?
    Including the run to the transom or just the surge tube?
    What about the risers?
    Fiberglass for everything except the risers. Can't help with a local shop. Marine Exhaust in Riviera Beach built all of ours for us, we did the install.
    There's several outfits building risers, closest to LBI would be Marine Manifold on LINY, there's a bunch in Florida and some other states too.
    Shouldn't some outfit have patterns/drawings for replacement risers and surge tubes for all of these 53 MY's since there's so many on the water, and they all probably need replacement??
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

That's what I was hoping for so I don't need to remove and ship so they could copy. I read that it's do able in the water as long as the exhaust is plugged but that kinda makes me nervous. Risers look ok but will inspect further.

Hard to believe I only had one response. I figured someone here might have of had some exhuast pipes made up at some point.

Did you ask your engine surveyor what the options are and what they cost? He knows.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I did, he gave me the it could cost X depending on this and that. I'm just looking for maybe someone here that had it done and could also refer me to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I did, he gave me the it could cost X depending on this and that. I'm just looking for maybe someone here that had it done and could also refer me to someone.
    Did you ever find anyone to supply hammerhead exhaust pipes for the 53? Thanks

BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand

Great examples of joys and sorrows of boating:

Sorrow: Water in starboard bilge, BAD

Joy: Looks just to be a loose hose clamp on exhaust system, GOOD

Sorrow: It isn't a hose clamp, rather a leaking weld on the 'hammerhead', one of the largest, most awkward parts on the boat.

I haven't pursued the replacement as of now. My leak is minimal but will be looking for replacements when my boat is hauled for the winter. I'm looking for someone to make them in fiberglass but would consider the SS/Monel.