Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New kohler generator install

I just pulled out the old Onan generator and will be installing a new kohler. The kohler came with exhaust that exits the side of the sound shield below the water line with water and exhaust mixed together. So it looks as though it is set up for installing above the waterline. Has anyone ran into this? The old Onan had the exhaust double walled stainless and water entered the exhaust above the waterline with a typical shower head Is this something I will have to have fabricated so that the kohler set up is similar to the of the onan. Any insight would be appreciated
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Re: New kohler generator install

Typically you run the exhaust from the sound shield exit to a waterlift muffler, below water line. Exhaust back pressure pushes the water up and over board

It is critical to measure the height of the exhaust manifold and of the loop to prevent water ingestion On my boat the prvieoua owner replaced the Oman with a norpro which has a lower profile and didn't measure. Two years later the engine ingested water. I was able to flush and save it except for a bent valve the solution was simple: adding a symphon break between the water pump and the heat exchanger.

The generator should have detailed instal instructions otherwise Northern Light has a very detailed, generic, PDF titled don't drown me
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Do you have photos of the Genset removal? How did you do it? I have an old Kohler to come out.

Thanks pascal. I’ll look into that. The install paperwork that came with it seamed vague I found a few install kohler install manuals that show a set up similar to the onan that I took out. I’ll look at at water lift mufflers.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Scott I cut a hole in the deck and craned it out. I’m doing a refit so it wasn’t any extra work
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

I installed a new Kohler 23EKOZD in my Hatteras. It came out of the forward / crew stateroom hatch. I think my exhaust was about 18” from the base of the genny. I had the installation instructions that I downloaded from Kohler. They were pretty specific about how to install the exhaust. What model is it? I may still have the guide.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”