Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cleaning marks off of Imron paint

Hi folks-

Have some black rubbery marks from the strike rails at the dock.

Hull is Imron paint. What product can remove these without damaging the paint?

Thanks,

Cheryl & Howard
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

Re: cleaning marks off of Imron paint

I have grown to love magic erasers (melamine sponges).

No magic erasers on that paint. I always use a light polishing compound and follow up with rejex or any other polymer polish. No wax.
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    No magic erasers on that paint. I always use a light polishing compound and follow up with rejex or any other polymer polish. No wax.
    I agree. I have always used a polishing compound as well. Then follow that with ProPolish or Awlcare or your favorite polish.

In a pinch I have also mixed some Barkeepers Friend with the polish for a little more abrasive.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

In 1984 I had a van painted in Imron. Got pine tree sap on the front and it dried. Nothing would take it off. Got sick of seeing it and tried contact cleaner I used on my MX bikes. Took it right of with ZERO
    paint damage.

Sadly I doubt the formula from back then is the same as today so probably not a good idea.

Are use finesse
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks all- I tried 3M light compound and it took more elbow grease than I expected- will keep at it.

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    Thanks all- I tried 3M light compound and it took more elbow grease than I expected- will keep at it.Cheryl
    I use acetone. Use on small area first to make sure it won’t melt your paint. A quick wipe and the marks dissolve. Rinse with water. Can’t say about other paints, but no damage or loss of shine on my paint.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Lacquer thinned is not as hot as acetone. Try it first but with the same restrictions as mentioned with acetone.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax works great on the black streaks that run down from snaps. It might do the job on bumper marks.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL