Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stranded On The Tenn-Tom

Delivering a problem child with 7.4 carb gassers that has decided it wants to spend another day at Bobby's Fish Camp. Starboard was missing at low speed day before yesterday but ran like a champ on plane at 3,000. Had to wait out that big storm yesterday before heading out to Dog River.

She fires, sputters, backfires, and dies. I don't know of any mobile techs in this area, and Bobby's won't be open for a few hours. Hoping somebody on here may know of one.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Stranded On The Tenn-Tom

Sounds like a stuck float. Sorry don't know any techs that way.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I wouldn't suggest fuel filters since I know you already changed them. But if it's carborated and has a mechanical fuel pump that's a good place to start.

Second is electronic engines and battery voltage.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I'm guessing fire problems. Parts on the way, so we'll see.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Could be timing chain loose and jumped a tooth. That would give the symptoms you are seeing. Easiest way to check that is to check compression on a couple cylinders. Only take a few minutes if you have access to a compression gauge.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom power View Post
    Could be timing chain loose and jumped a tooth. That would give the symptoms you are seeing. Easiest way to check that is to check compression on a couple cylinders. Only take a few minutes if you have access to a compression gauge.

Tom
    Unfortunately, diagnosing the problem does me no good. It jumping time is a real possibility. Have an ignition coil and distributor cap en route via the owner who is 2.5 hours away. If that doesn't do it, I'm probably out of here, at least until it's ready to continue.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

One wing it.

Its not like that's never been done before.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    One wing it.

Its not like that's never been done before.
    Not in a Carver, and not without good ground tackle.

Owner and his dad drove up with a new distributor cap and ignition coil, and we got her going again. Also discovered a problem with the automatic choke. Fixed that by removing the butterfly. I don't need no steenking choke!

With that, I'm ready to fire this puppy up at sunrise and let her eat. Barring any further excitement, I'll have her in her new home before dark thirty.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

get six cement blocks and 50 foot of dog run rope. Its on a river not rel water like an ocean.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Oh well, so much for having the starboard fixed. Had to wait for the fog to lift, then a tow. Got the go ahead from the lockmaster to come on down, but the starboard wouldn't hit a lick. Turns over okay, but won't hit a single lick.

Called the lockmaster back and told him I had issues, an he said not to even think about getting near that dam today with anything that's not 100%. In his words,

"All the gates are open and the water is running 100MPH. You lose power, there's nothing I could do to save you."

This may do it for me on this trip. You wouldn't believe the amount of trees and trash in it right now, not to mention the current, which is building. Running on plane would not be an option. I would probably just keep pace with the trash to protect the props. At least that was the plan before the engine problem popped up again. Waiting to hear from the owner. This is beyond old.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93