Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Solenoid or Starter

Port engine battery bank indicates 32 plus volts. It won't turn over the motor. Motor starts when the parallel switch is engaged to use starboard battery bank. Set up is original.

Where should I start trouble shooting this?

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with extension)
    Tampa

Re: Battery Solenoid or Starter

Have someone turn the key while their doing that you test the volts in the battery. Do you really have enough juice to turn the motor over. That happened to me. Had to buy a new starting battery. 2 dead cells. Showed power until you turn the motor over.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Check all the cells with a hydrometer. It's probably showing a surface charge but has no reserve.

How old are the batteries?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Start with the voltage test on the battery. I approached it from the starter cable end and could have saved a lot of time and energy.

https://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Red-SP101.../dp/B000JFHMRU

as suggested, start with the batteries.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

No don't buy that crap.

Get a real one.

It needs a thermometer on it too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nVLlXhaCeHZR0p
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Given that it will hit with the parallel switch, could be a few things, batteries, cabling, Cole Hersey Solinoid in the battery isolator box, or battery isolator switch itself. Mine is a 1987 model, and all of the battery isolator selector switches have failed over the last few years.. Lot of brittle plastic in those switches and when they fail, that battery bank is out of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    No don't buy that crap.Get a real one.It needs a thermometer on it too.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nVLlXhaCeHZR0p
    NAPA, 10 bucks, same price as the casual user model. They’re not on the shelf, you have to ask.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I've got a few from NAPA. I leave on in the engineroom of my boat so I don't need to look for it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Check the battery switches. The plastic cracks and releases some of the spring tension. Then the switch can't deliver enough amps to spin the diesel. Steve