Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Refit Center Possiblities

I have been investigating a refit within the local Daytona area given the general bullets below. Given the scope, I’m not confident everything can be accomplished with one yard to the quality standard we are seeking. What are others experience in embarking on a refit of this type of scope. Seeking feedback on qualified refit centers in the Jacksonville, St Augustine, Stuart area or the Carolina’s. Appreciate everyone’s feedback - thanks!

General Scope of work:
    - Replace framed windows to frameless windows
    - Replace generator w/new 4 stroke
    - Galley gut and replace
    - New headliners
    - Some carpet replace with amtico flooring
    - Woodwork
    o Refinish wood
    o Refinish stairs
    - Additional soft good refinishes
    - Etc…
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Refit Center Possiblities

I think I'd be looking at Jarrett Bay, in NC.... 4 stroke generator? You have a 2 stroke genset now? I've never seen that.

Lambs Yacht Center in JAX has good reports. They did all the work on our new boat for the past few years and it all looks good and surveyed good too.

Huckins in Jax or Thunderbolt Marine in Savannah. I had a lot of work done at Thunderbolt and was impressed with their service, work, and especially how they stood behind it.
    I've seen Huckins work and it is impressive, and with happy customers.

I also had a lot of work done at Jarrett Bay, to whom I'd give a mixed scorecard due to turnover in personnel. One very good option you have here in Beaufort NC area is contracting with Bruce Morrison who will put together a team (in addition to a lot himself) that does a great job. Bruce knows these boats inside and out. I wish I'd hooked up with him sooner.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    One very good option you have here in Beaufort NC area is contracting with Bruce Morrison who will put together a team (in addition to a lot himself) that does a great job. Bruce knows these boats inside and out. I wish I'd hooked up with him sooner.
    Second this. Bruce has done a lot of work for us and is the best.

I have a 54 Viking Sport Yacht and had a transmission fail in New Smyrna Beach. I had already decided I wanted to replace the Onan Genny because Onan no longer supports it and it blew coolant all over the engine room as I was leaving for my 2 week Bahama trip. I limped into Sea Love Boat Works who I believe is the only yard in the Daytona area that can haul a boat with an 18’ beam. I talked to Sea Love and decided I would go to Camachee Cove in St. Augustine. Camachee Cove is not cheap but their work has stood the test of time and I would go back. They ended up needing/wanting to haul the boat to replace the genny to grant access for the shooting boom forklift. That being said based on their reputation I would have been comfortable working with Daytona Boat works, but they couldn’t haul me. Maybe get Daytona Boat works to see if they can replace the genny without lifting the boat. BTW, Camachee Cove had an excellent carpenter. I ended up replaceing both transmissions, genny, boost transformer and other miscellaneous things, in other words quite a project since ZF no longer makes the gear that broke so shafts had to shortened motors moved slightly, etc. They pushed the project home and took care of the boat during Irma. PM me if you want more detailed info. Good luck.