Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boat Yards, Scavenger Hunts, and 8D Battery Replacement

I grew up near the water and by numerous boat yards. Growing up provided allot of fun slumming around and eventually working in them. Sometimes we would 'borrow' pieces of loose dock styrofoam, throw a pallet on top, and hold it together with sticks while paddling out with 2x6's. Other times was finding long enough dock lines to make tree swings over the banks of the stream (run off from street sewers) leading to the 'duck pond'. Outside of actually being on the water, boat yards are one of my favorite places. Recently brought my 11 year old in on the work when he helped me replace 4 x 8D batteries. While this was extremely dangerous and totally worthy of subbing out to yard, we had allot of fun scavenging the boat and the boat yard ladders, odd pieces of wood, and other bits and pieces to bring the 140 lbs of lead and 30 lbs of acid up and out while bringing the new ones in. Thought it would be fun to throw out some pictures as sure most can relate.
    IMG_2043.jpgIMG_2046.jpgIMG_2243.jpg

Re: Boat Yards, Scavenger Hunts, and 8D Battery Replacement

Another pic
    Attached Images

Next time you need to change the batts he will be big enough to do it for you. I like your system, we got lucky when I changed mine and was able to use our small boat launching crane to lift ours out. We have a hatch over the galley in our 53 which made it very easy to do. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I helped a buddy of mine change his and his 43 footer. We took a look at the no maintenance batteries and Determined at 160 pounds each it was just too much for he and I to struggle with. However we had a similar system but without the pully we used brute strength to left them up and lower them in. Something I never want to do again.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Great story and pics. Finally an advantage for 32 volt boats (8 volt bats).
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Great story, great pics. Thanks for posting.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Did mine last fall. We could have used a hoist too.

At least we only had to deal with two.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

The 110v hoist was very handy, last time I replaced batteries was 10 years ago by hand. My back was more reliable back then and I did have help. Paid $125 for hoist on Amazon prime (1300 lb), not the tool you necessary want 'harbor freight' quality in, but it did work well.

IMG_1840.jpg

very cool post. Surprised those saw horses held up